For homeschooling moms...

How early did you start any type of homeschooling? My oldest DD will be 3 in April, and she seems to just be begging to learn whatever she can get her little hands on. Tips, advice, suggestions? Thank you!

EvaSerenity

Asked by EvaSerenity at 11:33 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Mine did/do only dry-erase workbooks & PC Learning games (for the most part) until about 2nd grade --- then we get into textbooks.

Just let your child lead the way --- if she's interested, go for it! Flashcards, free educational gaming sites, arts & crafts, take lots of field trips, anything hands-on is great, etc.

www.starfall.com is an EXCELLENT free website for learning letters & beginner reading.

www.jennifererix.com is a free site a friend of mine created --- lists resources by grade, subject, etc. She has a 'free site' section and a 'pay sites that are worth the money' section LOL She keeps it updated at least weekly. New stuff all the time.

G'luck!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• We learn in a very freeform manner and don't do formal "schooling", but I have been helping my kids learn whatever they were interested in learning since they were old enough to express interest. I don't push the learning on them and stop when they are no longer interested. So, my advice would be to do as much as your daughter wants and help her learn about anything and everything she is interested in whether it is "educational" or not. Follow her interests and the learning will naturally happen as a side effect of living.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2009