Memorial day.... not a big deal in our family

I was raised a navy brat and even with my parents memorial day was not a big deal as far as it's "real meaning". We lived in many different areas and i dont ever remember anyone making much out of it other than family bbqs.

In my family it really isnt something we talk about to our teens. Nothing we really make a big deal of. Hub's father is a vet, my dad was 21 yrs military, and all my uncles and hubs uncles served... but what ever.

We are thankful EVERY day for ALL those who have come before us and for all those who have helped make our lives what they are. But does it mean less because we do not own a flag or go put flowers on a grave??????

We can not be the only ones.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on May. 27, 2012 in Holidays

• I have flowers placed on my father and brother in law's graves every year (WWII/Vietnam, respectively).

It's a personal thing. If you choose not to, that's certainly okay too
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 4:28 PM on May. 27, 2012

• That's the beauty about the country we live in- Freedom to choose to celebrate or not celebrate. Enjoy the day how you see fit. It's what all those wonderfully brave vets fought for in the first place. :)

patriotic

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:42 PM on May. 27, 2012

• My nana is the only one in our family who really celebrates it. She puts red, white, and blue flowers on my papal's grave, I think it's cute :), but we all usually have a BBQ or something like that.
    Conmom456

Answer by Conmom456 at 5:03 PM on May. 27, 2012

• Well, you don't have to celebrate but are we so wrong for celebrating it? You have the freedom to not celebrate, just as I have the freedom to celebrate. I won't be placing flowers on graves this year because we are overseas, but we will still do something. I also remember every day, but that doesn't mean I can't make the most out of this day.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 5:53 PM on May. 27, 2012

• We don't celebrate it as the holiday it is. My stepdad is a vet, his father was a veteran, and he doesn't celebrate either. Not using him to justify our lack of celebration but to point out not all vets celebrate.

Not celebrating doesn't mean not recognizing what our countrymen have done for us.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:21 PM on May. 27, 2012

• We celebrate it, every day. I have lost 2 of my sons (both Marines) and 1 daughter (a soldier) who were all KIA (2 in Iraq, both KIA in 2007 just 2 days apart at the ages of 23 and 21 and 1 KIA in Afghanistan in 2009 at the age of 20). Out of my 3 surviving children I have 2 sons (ages 21 and 20) in the Army & 1 daughter (18) in the Marines and all are currently deployed to Afghanistan (2) and Pakistan. It's very stressful but I am so proud of my children.
    Anonymous