feeding my baby.

I was just wondering if I am feeding my baby to much. Is she always hungry when she wakes up from her little naps I guess. She is a month and 4 days old.
She wakes up, I change her and she fusses til i feed her. Sometimes she spits up a lot after a feeding sometimes she eats and is right back to sleep, can't get her to burp sometimes. Am I to feed her everytime she wakes up?
Is this normal?

mgurl

Asked by mgurl at 11:38 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• feed on demand my son did this at that age he is now 10 weeks and sleps all night he also spits up every time he eats most of the time its the whole bottle the ped told me its normal as long as he isnt forcfally doing it gl
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I think it's normal to feed a baby every time they wake up. That's what I did and still do with mine. She may just be going through a growth spurt too. Trust her to tell you what she needs. If feeding her helps then that is what she needs.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 11:41 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I fed my baby whenever she woke up to get into a good routine and it's been working great for us. I feed her, we have awake time, then I put her down for a nap and when she wakes up I feed her again. Your baby won't eat too much and spitting up is totally normal (it looks like more than what it is.)
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 11:50 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• That's EXACTLY what was happening to my daughter. She's about the same age as yours. I was giving her 4oz every 2-3 hours and she would spit up way too much. I told the doctor about it the other day, and the doctor recommended spanning out the time between her feedings, because 4oz that often was way too much.

Yesterday was the first full day of us giving her 4oz every 4 hours, and lo and behold, she only spit up two or three times in total yesterday. Sometimes babies just want to suck, not eat. Maybe you could be overfeeding your baby like I did...or maybe your baby is going through a growth spurt. It all depends, it would be best to talk with her doctor to work out a plan.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:54 AM on Jan. 29, 2009