For first pregnancy how long is labor?

I'm pregnant with my first one, and I was wondering how long does labor take for the first time. I've heard that most women's first take awhile, how long is awhile?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Mine: 3 days

I'm sure that's not typical, though.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Every one is different mine was about 4 hours and my mom was 16. So it just depends on you...
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 11:41 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• There is truly no way to tell.
    For some women, it's less than an hour from the first signs to delivery.
    For others, it's more than a day.
    As with everything to do with babies, every women is different, every pregnancy is different, every baby is different.

Good Luck and I hope your labor is smooth and easy!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i was 16 and i was in labor for about 18 hours full blown labor was only about 5 hours though what i mean by that is i started having contractions at 3 45 am and then stopped and then at 10 30 am i started cramping and contracting really hard and at 6 my water broke and at 901 my daughter was born took two pushes so like watersgirls said just depends on you if your not stressed it will make labor go alot quicker
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My entire labor was about 12 hours from start to finish. I only pushed for an hour and 45 minutes. But it really all depends on you, how you handle the situation. Just stay calm and relaxed. All should move along smoothly. :)
    But as they all say. Every woman is different, every pregnancy is different and every baby is different.:)
    Good luck don't worry. All will be fine. Good luck.
    mgurl

Answer by mgurl at 11:46 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I started really early labor at 3am, with very light contractions (felt like menstrual cramps) about 15 minutes apart. They finally got painful around 10:30pm and about 5 mins apart, and I was in the hospital at 11pm, went into full blown labor at midnight, and had my daughter at 3:46 the next morning.

So...
    Total labor - 24 hours
    Total HARD labor - about 5-6 hours.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:48 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I was induced at almost 41 weeks, so I can't tell you how long a natural self-induced labor lasts. From start to finish mine was about 13.5 hours and couldn't have been more perfect.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:51 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I was induced and my first took about 38 hours full blown labor for almost 15 so it took awhile my last 3 have all been under 2 hours!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• With my first contractions started at 10:30 pm 5 min apart. By early morning they were like 2 min apart. I pushed for 30 min and my son was born at 7:29 pm, so 21 hrs. As everyone has said it depends.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 12:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i was 17 with my first it took only 4 hours.
    carebear875

Answer by carebear875 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 29, 2009