4 year old acting out at pre-school

I have 4 year old twins who have been attending the same pre-school for almost a year and the last 2 weeks my son has started acting out and not listening. Today I got a call from the director to let me know that again he is ignoring the teachers when they ask him to do something and went as far as to throw a chair down when they asked him to sit in it for time out. I am at a complete loss as to what to do. We are a very calm family and have very very rarely raised our voices at the kids. When the director told him that she was going to call his mom he started to cry uncontrollably. I talked to him on the phone and of course when I asked him why he wasn't listening he said he didn't know.

Any suggestions?

TwinMom04

Asked by TwinMom04 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would hope that the preschool doesn't leave it at that. They should be working with you to resolve this. You can reinforce positive behavior at home (for his day at school)but if it's a good preschool they should be working with you on a behavior plan to reinforce positive behavior from him at school too. I'd get with the teacher and director face to face and come up with a plan......after all preschool is about learning appropriate behaviors, they should have resources to help.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 12:54 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Is there any change at home? Seems like an attention seeking thing. I found the 1/2's were always hard, like 4 and 1/2, 5 and 1/2. Maybe he's not getting the attention he needs at school? I agree, talk to the teachers and directors.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:32 PM on Jan. 29, 2009