How long should I wait?

I just started my 5 month old on rice cereal about a week ago. How long should I wait before introducing, barley, the mixed rice cereal with the fruit flavoring, veggies, etc. He is taking the rice very very well.

madrigalreject

Asked by madrigalreject at 11:57 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd wait one more week before starting something new.

When you do, remember to offer a new food for 3 days before switching to another new food. This lets you spot any bad reactions to that food like allergies - hives, swelling, etc - or sensitivites - runny poop, tons of gas, etc.
    That means that he shouldn't have the mixed cereal until he has every grain in it except one. He shouldn't have Blueberry Applesauce until he has had Applesauce, he shouldn't have Strawberry Banannas until he's had Banannas.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:09 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I would start on veggies then fruit before I switched to another kind of cereal. But if you really want to start on barely probably one more week. Let you little one's system work out the rice before you surprise it with something new! Good luck! It's so fun introducing them to new foods!
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 12:05 PM on Jan. 29, 2009