How Long after birth did you get your first period?

My son is now almost 7 months old and I have not had a period since I found out I was pregnant pretty much. How long after your kids were born did you get your first period? What was it like compared to your before-baby periods? Just curious about what to expect! Thanks ladies!

Asked by klopez08 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Health

• well are you breastfeeding?

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Well the post pregnancy bleeding lasted about 3 weeks for me and after that it came back regularly after about 2 or 3 weeks so roughly a month and a half after I had my son my period was back and regular. 7 months is a long time to go without it after he was born. Did you test to make sure you are not in fact pregnant again? I would make an appointment with your doctor.

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• OH AND BTW I AM BREASTFEEDING..I can't figure out how to edit my question so yes I am breastfeeding!

Answer by klopez08 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• 6 weeks despite breast feeding. Breast feeding if done every 4 hours consistently will usually keep your period away.

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:50 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• With the exception of during my four pregnancies, my after-birth bleeding went on for 6-8wks, and my periods returned 2wks after that. EVEN THO I WAS BREASTFEEDING.
    some of us are just unlucky.