What to wear

We are going to get professional pictures taken on Sunday. We haven't done this before and I want them to look awesome. But I'm not sure what kind of outfits I should put together. I have 3 girls, ages 6, 4 and 2 and then there's me and hubby. The main thing I want from this is a HUGE family portrait....we're kind of a relaxed family, not really dressy up. But the girls do love to wear dresses...I guess just me and my husband are more casual.

So what kind of outfits would you recommend? Matchy? Dressy? Jeans and matching shirts? There should be some sort of connection between what we wear right? I'm so overwhelmed with this. Please help, give me ideas and if you have a family photo with a cute outfit scheme feel free to PM it to me or post it here.

Thank you so much.

munch12502

Asked by munch12502 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• when i do family portraits, i usually make is so at least 2 matches each other and 2 others match each other (4 kids).

i think about what kind of backround i'd want, like a brown one (they never tell you), so i dressed my girl in an orange shirt and my little one in an orange shirt. my other two boys were dressed in not exactly matching flannel shirts but they had flannel on together.

if you guys will be in the pictures i like to try to match the colors of my husband or go with the theme that the kids already have on. If all else fails, black always matches everyone else.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• This may not be what you're looking for...but my cousin had pictures of her & her kids done. They wore jeans and white shirts and they were barefoot. It came out awesome!
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 12:02 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Just white? Hmm...

And thanks for answering. I'm seriously looking and considering ALL options. I'm just stuck. LOL
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Personally I don't like the ones were the kids wear the exact same thing. It just seems so posed when that happens. A color scheme is what we tried out and it came out awesome. You know if one girls wears a pink dress another can wear a different type of pink dress or jeans and sweater.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 12:07 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i agree jeans and plain white shirts and barefoot are GORGEOUS for family pictures ahhh :) seriously consider it
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:09 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I don't like the matchy matchy thing either. I am with watergirls with the color theme instead. The Obamas did that for a lot their public appearances and I thought it looked great. The girls would wear different pink dresses, Michelle would have a pink element to her outfit and Barack would have a pink tie. All the same pink though. I am not saying this to generate political stir, I am just siting a public example.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My cousin and her husband took a portrait with my son, (long story) in jeans and barefoot and it looked great! When we get our pics taken I try to make sure we are at least in the same color scheme but not matched perfectly.
    Anonymous

• You and your DH wear something neutral like khakis and white or solid colored shirts, and the girls wear matching or similar dresses.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Ok, well I picked out some CUTE outfits for the kids. Totally adorable....the all have the same colors, but not the same style or amount of color. Like my youngest has a striped skirt and shirt, in all the colors, the middle is wearing a long white skirt and solid blue shirt and the oldest is wearing a green dress with white leggings. I'm gonna get a plain white shirt and hubs is wearing another shade of blue that's in the toddlers shirt. Hopefully they turn out alright. Otherwise, hey we all got a cute outfit.

Dh has UGLY feet. Barefoot really isn't a good option for us.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 12:13 AM on Jan. 30, 2009