Doctor Slams me being a SAHM

I had a checkup recently for a refill on my ADHD medication. I went to a new doctor as we moved a few months ago. I am a SAHM to an almost 3 yr old. My husband is AD army and we both felt like one person needed to stay home and keep stability with deployments and such.

My last doctor was great and also had ADHD and was very supportive and a great inspiration.

I was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult, and all of my family are supportive and frankly are glad I was diagnosed as it is helpful with treating the symptoms.

So anyways, when I saw the new doctor, this is how it went:
Doc- What do you do for a living?
Me- I am a SAHM I have a two yr old daughter.
doc- well then why are you on this medication? you arent working.
me- it helps me. I have to keep a regular routine with a child and i volunteer alot.
doc- oh, ok its just normally people dont take the meds if they arent in a job or in school.
me- ok.
doc- well i can see you have been on it for several years and dont seem to be abusing the medication, so I will prescribe it but I would like you to go to a psychologist for behavior therapy.
me- ok. that sounds like a good idea.

Then she goes on to explain that she wasnt trying to be rude being a SAHM is hard, and she couldnt do it. And went back to work. We spoke for a few minutes and she sadi she was impressed with me and looked forward to seeing me again. It was weird. I have never had anyone say anything like that to me before. Like apparently I dont need to stay on task dealing with a human being? WTF! Sorry, thanks for the vent

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on May. 27, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• I think she realize half way through that she was being unprofessional... or she was just feeling you out to see if you were abusing the meds.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:54 PM on May. 27, 2012

• I fuckin hate female doctors... I've never met a nice one.

I recently got back on adderall a few days ago. I don't see what working has to do with being on ADHD meds :/ ADHD effects more than work performance. She sounds like an idiot. Is she your primary care physician?
    xXMarlyeXx

Answer by xXMarlyeXx at 11:55 PM on May. 27, 2012

• She is my primary. I was shocked. My old doc told me how I managed it was a personal matter. He had ADHD himself. I am one of those people, I have to be on a routine. I have a severe/moderate case. Well I guess if you dont have to worry about losing you job you dont need the meds. IDK.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:58 PM on May. 27, 2012

• My home life was affected. My marriage. And above all ME. I couldn't sit still to draw or paint. Or play video games with hubby. I wasn't me. It's not just work. Jeezus.

Can you switch Drs?
    xXMarlyeXx

Answer by xXMarlyeXx at 12:08 AM on May. 28, 2012

• Yeah I can. Yeah I forgot, I told her that you know home life is affected, there is a higher divorce rate with ADHD. Like 85% or something. IT was crazy high. I am lucky my husband is like the nicest guy in the world and is very supportive.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:11 AM on May. 28, 2012

• I suggest you change Drs then. I had to because my first Dr here wouldn't listen to me about it. My new Dr is great and doesn't make me feel stupid.
    xXMarlyeXx

Answer by xXMarlyeXx at 12:15 AM on May. 28, 2012

• Yeah I guess I was just shocked like WTF I have had two other docs and they both were great. I am switching. My husband was appalled. He was like are you serious?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:17 AM on May. 28, 2012

• I would have been too.
    I had a social worker like that once. *ignorant* When I was 7 months pregnant my husband and I applied for state assistance. When she was reviewing our app she asked if I was seeking employment since we just moved to the state. I said no and she jumped all over me, saying that her daughter was still at work and was due any day. I was like Wtf? Who'd hire a pregnant woman??

Oh, and we got denied because of my "refusal to work".
    xXMarlyeXx

Answer by xXMarlyeXx at 12:23 AM on May. 28, 2012

• Wow, seriously? So unprofessional.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 12:24 AM on May. 28, 2012

• Time for a new doc.
    theMOMmission