Depression?

I go through these stages where Im an so tired of life! I have been thinking about medication but my cousin is on it and me and him are very much alike and it hasn't been so succesful. I just need something to help me feel better.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Health

• I really understand what you mean. I too have these times where I just want to be left alone, not get out of bed, etc. But I make myself, and sometimes, it seems to make it worse. A few years ago, my sister told me about the product SAM-E. I started with 400 mg and it did help alot. Another thing that helps me is excersise, although I don't do it like I should these winter months. And just because your cousin isn't having success with his medication, doesn't mean you won't. If you want, try it. Do some research on different ones and talk it over with your DR. I hope you find something that works for you~~take care :)
    hmkr38

Answer by hmkr38 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Your personalities might be a like but it doesn't mean your body chemistries are. Someone taking an antidepressant is depressed due to improper levels of certain neurotransmitters in their nervous system. The antidepressants help create a balance. If you're depressed for "no reason," medication may help you. There are different meds out there. Your doctor can help you find one that is right for you. If it has been more than 3 weeks since your cousin started his medication and there is no difference, he should see his doctor about trying something else. If you are depressed because of outside stressors (stress, work, life, family, relationships, a traumatic event) fooling with your nervous system via medications might create imbalances rather than fix your mood. In that case, I'd see a therapist. A diet adjustment can also help. No junk food. Eats foods with B vitamins. Exercise also can elevate mood.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:48 PM on Jan. 29, 2009