gestational diabeties

i hope i spelled that right neways how do you know you have it i havent gotten tested yet and im 35 weeks prego my mom had it with me and i didnt have it with my daughter but im starting to think that i may have it i have some scabs on my legs that have been there since the starting of my prenancy and i havent messed with them also when i eat like a cookie or something with alot of sugar in it i get dizzy but if i dont eat atleast one thing sweet a day i get really dizzy and shakey and usually throw up could im have prego diabeties?

bugbug07

Asked by bugbug07 at 12:05 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had GD with my 1st pregnancy and this one. I was diagnosed at 18 weeks with this one and am Insulin dependent. I do not feel any different when my sugar is high. I don't think your scabs have anything to do with GD. You'd have to have uncontrolled diabetes for quite awhile to experience those sort of symptoms. I would still get tested but, in my experience, it is a pretty much symptomless disorder in pregnancy. Not HARMLESS, but symptomless.
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 12:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I had it with 3 pregnancies. Some signs extreme thirst, urination, extreme hunger and blurred vision. If you think you may have it call your OB and ask them to test you blood sugar levels. Its just a prick on the finger and they can see how it is right then. As for feeling shaky Ihad that too and have it even when I am not pregnant. If low blood sugar. If you start to feel shaky next time try a PB cracker, or orange juice instead of cookies. Cookies have alot of refined sugar and what you want is other kinds to keep the sugar level up, cookies and other things like candy bars etc will cause a crash. Cut back on carbs, breads, and eat a more well balanced meals and see if it helps any.

Answer by gemgem at 12:14 PM on Jan. 29, 2009