Im a new mom, what is the deal with Rice Cereal?

I always hear about moms feeding babies rice cereal. What is it? Who makes it?Where to buy it? When do you start your baby on it? What does it help with? Is it required or just by choice?

mgurl

Asked by mgurl at 12:13 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Gerber or BeachNut makes Rice Cereal. You can buy it at any Supermarket in the Baby food section. Babies normally start it at around 4-6 months...discuss it with your doctor. You usually start when baby isn't satisfied with milk or formula alone.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• rice cereal is at just about any grocery store. A lot of brands make it but the most well known to me are Gerber and Beachnut. It helps the baby basically feel full and learn to digest and take in thicker foods. It is not required mostly by choice. You will get mixed responses on when to start a baby on rice cereal. I personally started both my kids on it at about 3 weeks it just made them feel fuller at night time ONLY to sleep through the night. Both girls slept through the night before they were 2 months old. If you want more info just send me a message.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 12:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• "Commercial, iron-fortified cereals (such as rice cereal) are often the first foods served to babies who are not breastfeeding because they need the extra iron, but breastfed babies are rarely anemic as the iron in human milk is well-utilized. If there is concern about the baby's iron levels, a simple test can be done in the doctor's office." Check out First Foods for Babies at http://www.llli.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html

Babies need nothing but breast milk (or formula) for at least the first 6 months.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• FYI a baby does not need to "learn" to digest or eat thicker foods. When their body is ready, it is ready. Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Rice cereal is often used because it doesn't seem to have as much problems with food allergies as some other grains. Look for it with other baby foods in the grocery store.

Answer by Bmat at 12:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I Have issues with the MANY ingridients in Gerber rice cereal...I mean you cant even pronounce most of it! Why in gods name would I give all that to my little baby? Any way I found some organic rice cereal and oatmeal made by Earths best organic and the ingridients are simple, Organic whole grain, Vitamin E and Iron. You can find it at Target or wal-mart, pretty much anywhere! Good luck :)
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 12:24 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Oh and its not necessary to give them rice cereal, its a choice. I never gave my babys straight rice cereal, I started with mashed banana and I add a little bit of the organic cereal to thicken up other pureed foods, to each there own....
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 12:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• jokermom that sounds so much better than the ingredients none of us could pronounce. my dh is 4 months and only on breast, but when she's ready I will look into that over the other products.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• rice cereal is a good source of iron for your baby, breastfed babies still need extra iron once they hit 6 months of age (at least it's recommended.) It's a good staple food and is least likely to cause babies allergies where banana, mashed avocado and other food people go straight to (skipping cereal) have a higher risk of allergies.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 12:32 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Rice cereal is recommended as a first food for formula fed babies, bc it was thought to be non-allergenic and is easy to fortify with iron. The iron provided in formula is synthetic, and babies tend to only absorb about 3-12% of it, hence the iron supplementation. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends waiting until baby is 6 months old before introducing solids to ensure that baby's tummy is ready for solids. Breast fed babies absorb 50-70% of the available iron in BM, and it is easier on their tummies and does not cause constipation like synthetic iron can.

Here are some interesting links for you to look through;
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html#ironsources

Most rice cereals are made with processed and white rice and include extra fillers. Your baby will get more nutrition if you buy whole grains and make your own baby food.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 12:45 PM on Jan. 29, 2009