How do I get my 14 mo daughter to stop hitting?

My darling daughter is 14 mo old and very precocious. She knows that hitting is an "ow." She doesn't hit terribly hard, she's tiny, but she'll hit someone or something and say "ow." We've tried time out. She'll sit for her 1 minute duration, get up, say "sorry", give kisses and then hit and say "ow" again! As I said, she's very precocious and she knows she's not supposed to do this, just like she's not supposed to stand up on the couch. It seems like she's trying to use it as an attention getter but she'll do it while we sitting on the floor playing with her as well as when we're otherwise occupied. I've tried distracting her, everything I can think of. She knows the concept of "gentle." After she hits, I say "be gentle" and she'll stroke my cheek just like I have shown her. I don't know what to do.

MiaMJK

Asked by MiaMJK at 12:45 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son started to "PLAY" hit but I never tolerated it .. I gave him a good Spank on his hand and the next time he did it.. I pulled down his pants and gave him a good spank on his bottom.

I KNOW children are sweet but you cant let the sweetness and sweet attitude to sway you from good parenting.

IT will save you a ton later if you disciplin now for it. TIme out may not work for her if she is still hitting after time out..
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 1:21 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Ok, but how does hitting (or spanking) your child show him that hitting is bad?
    Anonymous

• Because you are doing it out of love and correction and to rebuke of there wrong.. while The child is doing it to play and to hurt. Big Difference.

Spare the Rod Spoil the Child.
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 2:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2009