finger sucking

my 8 year old sucks on her fingers and has since she was little. now it is more when she is tired or bored and when she goes to bed. anybody have any ideas on how to stop it? tried putting that thumb suck stuff on there didnt work. my dr said to try hot sauce she likes it so that dont work. anybody with suggestions that would be great thanks

abcisme

Asked by abcisme at 12:48 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ignore it.

The more pressure you put on her to stop, the more stress she feels, the more she needs the stress relief of sucking her fingers.

Limit her to only doing it in bed so you don't have to see it and move on.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:21 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My six yo does the same thing. She even does it in school. Same thing as yours, when she's bored or tired. The teacher has told us she always knows when she's lost K's attention and she's gotten bored b/c the fingers get popped into her mouth. We remind her she's doing it and so does the teacher, just to keep her aware of it. But I did it til I was 12 so I don't stress over it too much! She'll stop when she's ready, I HOPE!!!
    cheez1e

Answer by cheez1e at 12:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My cousin Anna use to do that. When she was around 11 she begged my aunt to get her ears pierced. My aunt was like "Stop sucking your fingers, and It's a deal!" Anna got her ears pierced, and she never sucked her fingers again! Maybe try something like that.
    Anonymous