Leaving baby sleep and alone in the house

I just wanted to know if any of you other moms have left the house while baby was sleeping to run up the street to do something? Were you scared? A friend of mine just told me that when her 9 month old daughter takes a nap, she sometimes slips out the door to drop off a bill or go get the newspaper and leaves the baby alone in the house. What do you think?

k.alexander

Asked by k.alexander at 12:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Uhm no. They could take her kid away from her if she got caught.

Answer by gemgem at 12:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I think that is a horrible safety issue and personally would call CPS on her. Anything can happen to the house at any given time.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 12:50 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i think your friend is an idiot. anything could happen in that amount of time
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• ive done it. i leave my daughter napping and go grab the mail. i know things can happen, but im sure for the 10 seconds youre gone everything will be fine. i know people may think im wrong for doing that, but whatever, its my kid. i never go far, and shes always within ear reach, and i can see my place, so i know shes fine
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 12:51 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Oh my god! I would NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS do that. So much could happen "in a few seconds" That is so wrong.
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 12:52 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• oh ditto to Zata and Jodi!!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:52 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• NNNNNNEEEEVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR! Not ok at all...Not an option...Nothing and i mean Nothing is so important that you can't wait till after ther nap. UGH some people should never have children!
    Anonymous

• That is about as big a no no as a mom can do. Soooo much can happen, the possibilities are endless. It is a gamble no one should ever take with their child but I guess we all have our priorities.

Anonymous

• Getting the mail is not the same thing as hopping in your car or even going to the neighbors house.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:53 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i agree that you shouldnt go do a bunch of crap and be far away from the house. let me reclarify myself. i always have a monitor with me and its never farther then 4 feet from the door. anything more then that is ridiculous.
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 12:55 PM on Jan. 29, 2009