HIGH FEVER AND NO RELIFE..CAN I GIVE THIS TO HIM

he has a fever of 103 and it responds to mortin and tylonal but it comes back and i was wondering since he only wants to drink water and not eat can i give him chicken broth in his cuppy....what else can i do to reduce the fever without taking him to the ER or his PEDs DR.....

oh by the way hes 23 months old

connorsmom22607

Asked by connorsmom22607 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Okay...first and foremost to answer your main question, yes, you can give him chicken broth, will it help with his fever NO. But it will ease his stomach with all the meds. Also please remember that even though it responds to meds you have to be careful how often you are giving them to him. My daughter just had this (or what it sounds like) she had a 103 degree temperature that would respond to tylenol and then come back for 4 days, at then end of it her fever just broke and her body broke out in a rash, she had Roseola. If the only symptom is that he has a fever then don't worry so much about taking him to the Dr. unless there are other symptoms like vommiting, sore throat, tugging on ears, etc. Give him only clear liquids and if he can handle solids then do that. As for low sodium, I would say give him regular chicken broth, at this juncture he needs to retain fluids.
    smilinghug

Answer by smilinghug at 11:44 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• cool baths and keep a cool wash cloth on hand. tylenol and motrin just keep rotating. if it persists for more than 2 days then you need to go to the dr.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 1:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• If the fever keeps coming back and going above101 it is more than likely an infection, I would take him to his ped. to be checked out. Other signes of him being sick is not wanting to eat, keep a close eye on him to make sure he does not get dehydrated. To be safe, I would call the Dr. for an apt.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• yes he needs to go the the doctor. i know you said not to say that but he does need to go. When it goes over 103 theres a cause there for concern and the fact that it keeps coming back means something.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• If it has been more than 2 days at 103, then he needs to see the pedi.
    Anonymous

• 103 oral I should say and 104 rectal after 2 days
    Anonymous

• its not been more then two days its only been 18hrs hes seems fine an active just doesnt want to eat much and drinks like a camel...so my other part of the question was CAN I GIVE HIM CHICKEN BROTH IN HIS CUPPY....
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I would say low sodium chicken broth, yes or pedilite, which would be better
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I agree if it keeps coming back he needs to see a dr.
    LND

Answer by LND at 1:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• you can give him chicken broth in his cup if he will take it. Just make sure he is getting lots of liquid.
    Keep rotating the motrin and tylenol and like the other mommys said if this goes on for more then 2 days id call your dr however since tomorrow is friday if he does this all night id call them first thing in the morining it could be a infection of some sort.
    Also try a nice cool bath.
    You might wana check his temp rectally to get a more accurate reading to so that when you do call your dr you know. Taking their temps under their arms and and ears and by mouth isnt always very accurate as to how high the fever really is. Good luck and i hope he feels better soon.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2009