Did anyone get stuck naming your child a name u hate?

my youngest sons name is Hunter Derik. I hate both names, but my DF won't me pick out any other names. He said i got to name our oldest so he get to name the new one. (well he wasnt around when i had our oldest so of couse i got to name him) i tired going in between names. like Tucker Derik or Karson Hunter. I was ok with them for middle names i just hate common names. i also tried Hunter Moody (after my daddy and grandfather) i tried many differnt name nothing worked. so now im stuck with Hunter Derik. i love my son but i hate his name.

mamaof2boys148

Asked by mamaof2boys148 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I love my sons name Mason- but i like his middle names but I don't like telling people his middle name because they're not "attractive" Its Ernest Walter after his grandpa and my papaw. Both men are/were incredibly strong and we couldn't decide between the two and i always feel like people go ewww when i tell them or something so yeah. :\ i love the meaning behind them just not the names themself ya know?
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My oldest son got stuck with his dads first name and I cant stand it. Neither can my son. So he goes by his middle name. When he turns 18 hes changing his name.

Answer by gemgem at 1:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i don't understand how you let that happen if you really hate the name. i made a compromise with my dh about my first son's name. i didn't love it, but it was my dh's late grandfather's name, so i understood it was important to him. but i certainly don't HATE the name.

but if you hated it you should have made more of a fuss about it
    Anonymous

• i wish i gave my two oldest sons more uncommon names there mason tyler and auston thomas i wish they were more like my other kids names josalin jade and brockton tate my new born i wanted tearney ann but i dont know anymore ??? lol my kids call her tanna ann so maybe ill choose that name
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 1:24 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Well heres what happened. I said no to the name. My ex dh knew I didnt like it and knew I said no to it. I had a bad labor and was asleep and they came in to get his name and dh gave him his first name and middle name I picked. When I woke up i did have a fit about it but my dhs grandma was also there and talked me into it and said we compromised with a name he picked and one I picked. I had named our dd so it seemed fair and I figured the name would grow up on us. It never did. So he got stuck with it and as he got older said he didnt like it. So yea sometimes compromising doesnt work.

Answer by gemgem at 1:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i put up a big fight right up untill we did the birth cer.
    mamaof2boys148

Answer by mamaof2boys148 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• YES! My oldest's middle name is eugene (after my husband & also his dad.. Both of their middle names also). And I hate it. But it was important to give him a family name
    My youngest's middle name is Bradlee after my grandfather. It's an older name but I LOVE it!
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My girls ended up with names I liked...I had split with their BF at five months pregnant with #2 but he wanted to be there for the birth and i thought it was important to give him that opportunity. She's only born once and she is his daughter . Even being on less than favorable terms we were able to agree on a name.
    I myself wasn't so lucky. My mom had an emergency c-section with me and all but passed out for two days. my BF named me Michelle... my mom hated that name and so do I... but on the bright side- he gave me two things in my life- a name and the gift of disappearing.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 7:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2009