Atheists-

if you weren't raised in an atheist home, when did you decide you were an atheist? when did everything finally fall into place and you just felt it to be true?

lately i feel like im really on the fence between agnostic and atheist, but i don't know what's holding me back from actually saying "im atheist" and believing it to be true. i don't know if i'll ever be able to say with certainty that no gods exist, i believe i will always be open to that possibility. worshipping any of them though is an entirely different matter.

so anyway... when did it become clear for you? i don't really feel "lost" per se but i feel like agnosticism is really just the bridge from one belief system to another and i need to cross it.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:06 PM on May. 28, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• Eh it was a long time coming and a lot of "believe in it because that is what is expected of you by family and peers" but I finally stopped trying to convince myself I believed in a God that doesn't exist when I was about 17...of course I still went to the "Teens for Christ" meetings after school but that was for the Ultimate Frisbee....and yes people knew. Whether they thought I was just going through a phase or truly felt it didn't matter, the more the merrier, I'll never know for certain, but it doesn't matter either way
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:14 PM on May. 28, 2012

• I'm not an atheist, but I thought maybe you may like a suggestion for your quest. Lee Strobel, a former journalist for the Chicago Tribune, wrote a great book about his own search for answers to some of the questions that keep people from believing in God. ( Like, "If there exists a loving God, why is there so much suffering in the world?") The book is called  The Case for Faith.  This may help you sort out some of those questions that, really, we all have at some point.

brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 9:19 PM on May. 28, 2012

• i may check it out, only because i enjoy hearing different responses to questions like that. the answer is almost always "faith" meaning "no proof" and well, that just further solidifies my own resolve.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:31 PM on May. 28, 2012

• No answer for you but I wanted to wish you good luck in your search.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:57 PM on May. 28, 2012

• i don't really feel "lost" per se but i feel like agnosticism is really just the bridge from one belief system to another and i need to cross it.

So ask yourself what is holding you back. Why aren't you crossing that bridge. Are you scared you might be wrong? Ostricized by those you love? Looked down on by those in your community when you make the change? Chances are this has more to do with the emotional reasons behind not wanting to admit one belief over another and not the belief (or lack thereof) itself
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:06 PM on May. 28, 2012

• Just a choice i made and knew i could sleep peacefully with it
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 10:47 PM on May. 28, 2012

• I was an atheist before I knew there was a word for it. As far back as I can remember, I couldn't understand how anyone could believe in the stories they were teaching us in Sunday school. It seems like a lot of people really hate the word atheist, and it took me a while to comfortably use it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:12 AM on May. 29, 2012

• For as long as I can remember, I never believed in god. It never made any sense to me that there is a sky daddy watching us at all times. I've always thought that the bible and religion was man's way of controlling people. I have yet to hear a good argument or proof of the existence of god and I highly doubt I ever will.

It's just a shame that the word atheist conjures up so many negative emotions in people, all it means is not believing in a deity yet it infuriates some people.

Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 11:50 AM on May. 29, 2012

• if you weren't raised in an atheist home, when did you decide you were an atheist?  I was 42.  After 30 years in the church, I realized that any god that would let me go thru what I was going thru back then was NOT a loving father.  when did everything finally fall into place and you just felt it to be true?  I began to read atheist literature--my first was a wonderful book called "The book your church doesn't want you to read" edited by Tim Leedom.  It opened my eyes to the "real"--i.e. imaginary--nature of all gods/goddesses, as created by the mind of man.

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:25 PM on May. 29, 2012

• i think i've always known. i've always felt that deep feeling in church when i was a kid that there wasnt any spirit or god there but it was my own conscience that made me feel the way i did..and i knew this all along..even being so young. I felt even then like it was a scam or some kind of cult activity (using god) and i did not like that feeling at all. I feel like i have the power within myself to do whatever i want..I don't like the guilt that comes with god that the church like to throw on you.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:18 PM on May. 29, 2012