How old should my toddler be before I put her in a toddler bed?

I have a 18 month old daughter that keeps climbing out of her crib and pack and play...is it time for a toddler bed?

Mommyto2Girl051

Asked by Mommyto2Girl051 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yeah sounds like it. I moved mine when they started escaping.

Answer by gemgem at 1:23 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• there is no age. generally you will hear when they can climb out of the crib. But with my 1st born- we moved him to a big boy bed when he turned 2 (mostly because we needed the crib for baby 2 who was due a month later) and he did just fine.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 1:23 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• 3-4 YRS OLD WE DID IT TOO EARLY 15 MONTHS AND ARE STILL PAYING THE PRICE AND HES ALMOST 3 YRS OLD. IF YOU DO IT TOO EARLY YOU GIVE THEM TOO MANY CHOICES AND FREEDOM AND IT REALLY MAKES YOURE LIFE HARDER. IF YOURE CHILD HAS MOUNDS OF SELF CONTROL AND IS VERY MANAGABLE THEN GO FOR IT...
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 1:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I WOULD JUST EXPLAIN THE DANGER OF CLIMBING OUT. IF SHE CLIMBS OUT OF A CRIB AND YOU SWITCH TO A TODDLER BED ONE SHE WINS..HAHA. AND TWO YOULL NEVER GET HER TO STAY IN A TODDLER BED MORE FREEDOM... JUST PUT A BODY PILLOW UNDER HER CRIB RAIL INCASE SHE FALLS. ID STICK WITH THE CRIB IM DEBATING ABOUT BUYING A NEW CRIB TO PUT MY 2 YR OLD BACK IN... NIGHTMARE...
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 1:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Yea I would try to switch her. My son was alittle over 2 when we switched him.But all kids are different.
    LND

Answer by LND at 1:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Danahake is right - it's not age based, it's maturity based.
    Yes, climbing out is dangerous because she might fall and get hurt.
    But tthe biggest danger isn't getting hurt while climbing out. The biggest danger is what she will do with her freedom while you are asleep.
    Take a hard look at her room. Is the furniture bolted down? She will climb it and it can tip over on top of her. Can the closet door be locked? She will swing on the clothes and can pinch her finger in the door. Are there toys and books to entice her to get up and play? Are there breakables on high shelves she will try to get to?
    Next take a hard look at her temperment. Is she likely to stay in bed just because you say so? Is she likely to climb and explore not matter how many times you say "NO"?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Last, take a good look at your baby proofing. Every baby product out there is designed to give you a couple of minutes to notice what the child is doing and put a stop to it before they get hurt. They are not designed to keep a determined or bored child safe for very long. Drawer locks are easy to learn. Baby gates are easy to learn. There is no such thing as "baby proof" except any empty, full padded room. And even then I wouldn't trust a toddler to not rip open the covering and eat the padding.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• The morning that my DD fell out of her crib was the day she got her crib transformed into a toddler bed. I would much rather her get out of her toddler bed than fall out of her crib.
    Mizzjos

Answer by Mizzjos at 3:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2009