Help!!! I need advice on potty training a 3 year old

My son is 3 years old. Now I know they say potty training boys is alot harder then girls. But He starts school in September and if he is not potty trained he can not go. He will go if you ask him but he will not tell you when he has to go.Is there something i'm doing wrong?

LND

Asked by LND at 1:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• this is what worked for my son- LOTS of excitement and praise when he does go potty and he got a sticker on a chart. Then one weekend I told him- ok no more diapers (but he did get 'big boy night time underwears' (Pull ups for nights and naps) and put him in underwear. There were a lot of accidents at first but it worked.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 1:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• zata is right, lots of praise. We did the sticker chart too which was somewhat effective. I placed both my boys on the toilet backwards, facing the tank and put a step stool at the base of the toilet. They were comfy going this way and it skipped the potty seat. We just kept putting him on the toilet after he had a meal or drinks. It just takes a lot of effort. Sometimes they just aren't ready and my kids were both done by age 4. Took a while but after 4 they never had an accident, ever.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Thanks ladies. Me and my husband just decided we are going to wait until 2010 to send him to school,not because we are having a hard time with the potty training but because we want to save up some money. So hopefully your advice will work and he will be trained soon.Thanks again!!!
    LND

Answer by LND at 8:13 AM on Jan. 30, 2009