Has anyone volunteered at a nursing home?

I was wanting to start volunteering a couple days a week and was wondering if you do, what kind of things do you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Health

• I volunteered in a nursing home for years. I loved it! I played cards with the residents, visited with those that didn't have family nearby, mostly just kept them company. Once my kids are bigger I hope to go back to it. I miss it a lot.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 1:36 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I used to volunteer at the homeless shelter letting them in at night and out in the morning and the soup kitchen which is great if you have kids old enough to help too. We have also vounteered at the DV shelter helping sort through donations, playing with the kids, offering rides to and from school. I also have done volunteer work at my kids schools doing reading after school with the younger kids.

Answer by gemgem at 1:38 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i work in one- volunteer's do things such as playing games with them, just visiting. you can volunteer to do all kinds of things. But the maid idea is spending time with them. Taking pictures for holidays and going for walks with them.. Helping out feeding the ones that need fed. There is one lady whos husband is there and she comes EVERY day and helps take care of others on the unit. Every day she puts the shirt savers on the residents and she brings food for the workers about once a week. She is such a sweet heart
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 29, 2009