Propose a law about voting!

Ok ladies, we were just in discussion about the election being based on color. (NO, BASHERS, NOT SOLELY ON COLOR, BUT IT DID PLAY A KEY FACTOR.)

I propose that a person be registered to vote for 5 years before they are actually permitted & qualified to vote. (Of course, kinks would have to be worked out) I just feel that if a person really wants the right to vote that they should take the initiative to do so to prevent race, religion, creed, color, etc, from being an issue. If an Irishman ran for president, the Irish would wake up & vote. Same goes if a Jew, Muslim, Gay or Bi-racial were to run, the people struggling with the same scenarios would definitely take an interest in whatever the issue.

But with a new law, the person couldn't sit back through 10 elections & not take any responsibility or action into making a difference then all of a sudden, just because of one issue, be allowed to make ALL the difference.

matobe

Asked by matobe at 1:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• that might be a good idea but then maybe no one would vote at all..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:45 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• It would never pass-so I can't even speculate about it.
    Anonymous

• I propose that people who ASSUME reasons why others vote-should not vote.

Anonymous

• I have a better one - anyone who doesn't vote in any election, governor, state rep, school bond, anything, loses their registration and is ineligible for another year. And when it's time to assign electoral votes, the states don't get them based on population, they get them on number of registered voters (meaning, California no longer gets 30 votes to be assigned by 20% of its population)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:48 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I say, you have to be able to rub your head and pat your tummy at the same time. Roller-skating backwards might be a good test too.

Yep, that probably won't work so I am comfortable with it being 18 years old and a registered citizen.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 1:50 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• So would we have 13 year old kids registering to vote in order to be eligible to vote when they turn 18? What about people who don't vote because they don't agree with any candidate, and when they finally find a candidate or proposition they really want to vote for finally decide to vote? DH had never voted until this year because he wanted to vote to sell alcohol in the county.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 1:51 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• NOT SOLELY ON COLOR BUT IT DID PLAY A KEY Factor

ISn't that why your panties are in a twist?
    Anonymous

• There is a thing called a write in candidate. There is no excuse for not voting.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:52 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I honestly dont think you should be able to vote unless you take economics class and actually learn about the stuff first.Because lots of people actually dont know crap about the government.Some vote just cause they hear the candidate say one thing they like.I think that should be added in there.
    Anonymous

LOL... Seriously, I wish people were given a civics class before they were allowed to vote. Some high schools teach govt/civics, some schools do not. Truly Sad, when voting and voicing our opinion policially is the best way to change and mold our future as a nation.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 29, 2009