Have you visited a 3rd world country? How did that change your mindset?

MamaChamp

Asked by MamaChamp at 1:45 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I've been to many developing countries. I think it HAS to change your mindset. You realize how easy we have it in America. The worst poverty you can imagine in America? Imagine that magnified by 100 in some of these nations. No access to clean water, no food, no medical care, all while dealing with diseases that have been wiped out in the rest of hte world. It's dreadful. But at the same time, I met some of the most amazing people...the strongest people I've ever met were those with the least. I agree with the person above who said you aren't truly educated until you travel totally out of your comfort zone.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 1:54 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Mhh.. kind of.

Ive been to Tunisia in north africa. didnt really change anything for me, because i already knew there are poor people and the whole social system there sucks. But isnt that the same in every country?!

It sounds ignorant, but it actually isnt. I live in Germany, so many poor people over here too, so many kids dont get enough to eat. Who cares about those people?!
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• yes. we built a community center in nicaragua. i've also built shelters and fixed homes in appalachia, VA. the communities differ greatly their attitudes. nicaraguans have so much less, but are pretty happy overall since it's the norm. the people i met in VA were miserable and depressed, and though they couldn't feed themselves and their animals and couldn't heat their homes, they still had to have a big ass tv so they could watch the upper echilons of society and compare themselves.

it's a major eye opener to travel outside not only your own community, but your comfort zone. i don't feel you are an educated person unless you've experienced different lifestyles in some way or another.
    Anonymous

• I did missionary work in Mexico every year I was in high school and first year in college. I think it changed the way I saw Mexico in general because before that we just went there on vacations and what not. It didnt really change my world view though. Life is what it is and I know were lucky to be American citizens. I have always known that.

Answer by gemgem at 1:54 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Anon 12:49 wrote it's a major eye opener to travel outside not only your own community, but your comfort zone. i don't feel you are an educated person unless you've experienced different lifestyles in some way or another

Yes I agree with that. I saw the very poorest of Johannesburg South Africa. They lived in houses made of metal scraps, smaller than the room anyone reading this is in. No plumbing. And in some neighborhoods they HAD to "pay" a guard to watch there homes or someone would break in and take the very little they had.

When I came back I felt so privelaged. I stopped complaining about EVERYTHING. I mean, your whole life changes. I need to go back because its time for another wake up call.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:55 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• you can't appreciate running water until you live without it! those rainwater in a barrel showers got pretty tough after a few days!
    Anonymous

• seriously alot of people won't even drink from tap....lol. I didn't even care when I came back because it seemed like such a luxury.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:58 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• yes... i have been to several, it made me understand how even the poorest americans are well off compared to the people who live there... that people live without the support of gov giving free food, they arent given a chance to go to school, rarely see doctors, never heard of a dentist, work their fingers to the bone just to survive. it makes me understand sending foreign aid to countries in need and to understand the u.s.'s obligation to them... you hear a lotta talk about keep our taxes here but we do that, i work at a school that give about 95% of the kids free lunch and breakfast, no one is starving in america... that is willing to take the handout...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:05 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• So true Amalia. I think thats why I don't get worked about gov't aid to Americans. I've seen where some families would be without it.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Well...we live 20 minutes from Mexico. There's a whole community just across the border that is built in the dump. They use the gas emitted from fecal matter to cook and heat their houses. I don't go there anymore because it's way too dangerous (last montht they found 17 dead bodies behind an elementary school) but seeing stuff like that makes you REALLY appreciate that you live north of that line!!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:24 PM on Jan. 29, 2009