Throwing a tantrum at the Library?

I took my daughter to the library yesterday evening for storytime, we hadn't been in awhile since the weather has been so bad, so she was really looking forward to it. The story time is for ages 5-7 and there was a goup of about 12 kids and their parents. Well right at the beginning of the story one little girl about 6 years old started screaming and throwing herself on the floor because she wanted candy. This went on for a good ten minutes and her dad didn't do anything! All he said was "be quiet and I will buy you some candy when we leave"! Am I wrong or do you think he should have at least taken her out of the room so not to disturb everyone else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• yeah i am surprised they kept reading, my son had a fit at the library once but we were checking out the books when he did it and the woman was just so slow and i felt that i couldn't leave fast enough, to make it worse, there was a man there with downs syndrome and who kept shoos-hing us.... i was like i know i know hurry up and i couldn't just leave because she was in teh middle of the process when it happened, prolly only lasted 1-2 minutes but it was awful because the library is so quiet, i swear we didn't go back for 6 months! you post reminded me of that awful experience... ahhh motherhood! (btw my ds was 2 at the time)

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:55 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• He should have taken her out. ..And she wouldn't have gotten any candy for that behavior if she were my kid!
    Anonymous

• He should have taken her out and home the same time.if she was my kid, l won't dear give her anything for that act cos when you do, next time she will act worse.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Anonymous. I would have taken her out of there and candy would have been the last thing she got! At 6 years old she knows better than that.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 2:07 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I feel for the dad-I really do. When so many dads these days are taking off, leaving the kids to be raised alone by the mom, and then they don't have that much to do with the kids after that. But, thumbs up for this dad. He's there. He went with his daughter, alone. He tried his best to deal with the embarrassing situation. It's too bad he isn't perfect like us moms, who always know what to do, every single time. What might have been awesome, is if one of those perfect moms stepped forward and asked the guy if he needed some help, with an understanding smile. Come on, girls, in this world, we need to stop critizing the imperfect people who are really, really trying. Go after the people who AREN'T there for their kids.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 6:44 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• If it were me and my child, I would have left until he or she calmed down. But I wouldn't have judged the dad for how he handled it because I don't know their situation. I have one child who looks "normal" but has sensory issues and other issues that sometimes make him act much younger than he is. I also have a husband who sometimes makes choices I wouldn't have made when dealing with our son. I don't think my husband is "wrong" because his reasons make sense to him, even if they don't make sense to me.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:13 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• She calmed down? You gotta stick with it through a fit like that although after about 3-6 min it is time to go....not at the first peep though....darn kids why cant they just listen to the story?
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 1:26 AM on Jan. 30, 2009