Will my 2 year old be gay?

Ok so my 2 year old boy loves to wear my heels and when he wears them he says my name is jenny he has a baby doll he likes to play with all though he is still very much into little boy things like cars and tools things like that but he also likes to try and put on my painties. And the other day we were watching tv and a lady said im gay he said mommy she is gay I said yes an he said im gay too! I know he has no idea what gay is but im just a little worried I am a single mother he has no dad grandpa or uncles so is he showing early signs of being gay or is this just a phase from being surronded by women HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Destins_Mommy

Asked by Destins_Mommy at 1:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's just a phase. And...exactly...he doesn't know what gay is. My son (18) played with dolls. He's great with children, sensitive and a natural care giver. His girlfriend thinks it's an attractive quality about him.....and as his mother....I think he's gonna make a WONDERFUL Father someday. When he played with his doll he changed his diaper, fed him, took him outside to play, taught him how to blow his nose....etc..etc. Be proud of your son...he sounds like an inquisitive and caring child : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't worry it is just a phrase as he is probably just imitating what he sees you and other women doing. Is there a trusted male friend of someone that could do "boy" things together like cars and sports and such?
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Just a phase........
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:52 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• stop worrying. if he's not around many men he's just imitating what he sees. if you worry about it he's going to pick up on your anxiety and feel weird about it. it is not healthy to try to confine your child to some unrealistic gender role, and it's fine for men to have a "femanine side" (even though i don't believe emotions and consideration and self pride should be considered a purely female thing).

and even if he was gay, who cares? he's still your son. that shouldn't make a difference.
    Anonymous

• And, not for nothing, it's moderately insulting you would equate dressing like a woman with being gay. The two have little to nothing to do with each other.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:53 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Oh please.. Mama stop stessing, does he have other siblings? If not than he is just mocking you, you are who he looks up to everyday... Heck my 5yr old boy asked for a doll that swims this year for christmas and i dont think he is gay... Your boy is 2, come on... You are looking into this WAY to much...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• At that age they dont know anything about sexual identity. Hes copying the things you do because youre his primary caregiver. He isnt gay.

Answer by gemgem at 2:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My son does the same thing. He plays dress up with his big sister. He puts on heels and carries a purse and pushes a baby stroller. He is just coping what he sees. He also goes out to the garage and plays cars with Daddy. Don't worry about it it is just a phase he is going through.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 2:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Wait tell he gets into teen years before you worry about that. If he does turn out to be gay, is that a bad thing? Are you not going to love him any more? Are you going to disown him?

Answer by louise2 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Wait until hes older to worry about this! He's copying you because you're the one he spends all his time with. My son walks around in my boots and carries his cousin's baby doll around, rocking it to sleep. At least I know he'll be a good dad! If he's still doing this when he's 16 thats a different story! But of course you'll love him eithier way right?
    Anonymous