what would you have done if your 3 yr old said, "Mommy you a bitch!"

My son did this last week, idk where he heard it, don’t wanna blame anyone in particular..... I sat him down and said that was a bad word and very mean to me. He smiled and said it again so I punished him... dh thinks I was too mean with the punishment but he was at work and I just envisioned him saying to his teacher "Ms. Kelly, you a bitch." He said it in response to the fact that I turned off the TV. and then said no to pop before bed.... what would you have done.... no judgment.... I will tell you what i did after i get some unbiased feedback.

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 2:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Umm...I would've given my daughter 1 warning and if I ever heard her say it again she would be getting her bare butt spanked. In my eyes that's a very serious problem.
    blessedwife08

Answer by blessedwife08 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Honestly they all try it at some point, my sons are 6 and 4 and they both completely understand what a bad word is and that it's not nice to say. People will disagree with me and that is completely fine, but what I did when they thought it was funny was that I gave my son a warning after I heard him say it. I do NOT use soap but Apple vinegar or white vinegar on their tongue and then a timeout to think about it. It tastes nasty, it smells nasty but its not harmful. If he does it again, warning, vinegar, timeout. That's my take and it works.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 2:14 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I most definitely would have punished him. It doesn't matter where he heard it from, he has to learn that it is NOT something we say. We still haven't reached that point with our son yet so I will be curious to read others discipline techniques for this situation.
    Anonymous

• My daughter said f*** over and over when she was rhyming and experimenting with words. I didn't punish her, but I made it very clear that it was not something that we say. I would, however, punish my child if she continued to say it.
    Chicagirlie

Answer by Chicagirlie at 4:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Don't react at all anymore. Now he knows he gets some attention by using the word, positive or negative. Totally ignore him when he does it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i gotta agree with blessedwife08 i would have spanked my daughter butt!!!!! i know it may sound mean and all. But if you let your kid slide once on anything they think they can do it all the time.
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 7:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2009