what would you have done if your 3 yr old said, "Mommy you a bitch!"ipog

My son did this last week, idk where he heard it, don’t wanna blame anyone in particular..... I sat him down and said that was a bad word and very mean to me. He smiled and said it again so I punished him... dh thinks I was too mean with the punishment but he was at work and I just envisioned him saying to his teacher "Ms. Kelly, you a bitch." He said it in response to the fact that I turned off the TV. and then said no to pop before bed.... what would you have done.... no judgment.... I will tell you what i did after i get some unbiased feedback.

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 2:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have done this: I made my son lick a bar of soap, and put him in the corner, but I remained calm and said filthy words needed to be cleaned from his mouth. He was crying hysterically, his lips trembling and all-and then he made a bubble float up in the air, and he smiled, did it again, and laughed. GRRR, I thought in my head. Later that night, he said a dirty word again, and I asked if he wanted soap in his mouth. He shook his head-and then nodded. He said it was fun. But he's never said a dirty word again, so I don't know what worked. (but it was funny to see him go from hysterical to laughing in like two seconds, with bubbles floating around in the corner of the room.) I also made him apologize. 

McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 6:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I would have probably popped him in the mouth then put him in time out for a while. and explained it is BAD and we don't say things like that to people
    Anonymous

• If it had been my dd saying it, I would have slapped her little mouth. I do believe in spankings, and I spank the offending body part, or the bottom. When dd knows a word is not to be said and she says it she gets a little pop in the mouth. I would have also asked who taught her to say it, and go after that person as well. Letting them know it is not appreciated, and not to use that language in front of my child.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 2:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Hmm.tough one I wouldn't want to smack him cuz I might be proving him right! But I would probably spank him, tell him it's a bad word and if he ever said it again he would get another one! Then he'd be off to bed for the rest of the night.
    Anonymous

• I would have told him that's not a word for kids to use, and that he's not allowed to call mommy names at all. I would give a warning that it's not allowed before I would give a punishment.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i did explain it was a bad word and then he repeated what he said... please read carefully... 1. so he said it... 2. then was told it was a bad word not to use it 3. then he did it again and was punished... just in case i was unclear above in description... sorry!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My two year old has been picking up alot of bad words for my fiance and I, and other family members. He is only two but can you the word shit and damn ina sentence. I feel like its my fault. We have decided to just make sure we dont say those words anymore. I'm kinda stuck . Because I dont know how to punish him right now. I've told him not to say those words because they are bad! and he laughs and does it again also. I think telling him that he hurt your feelings would be good. And tell him thats not something that someone his age says would be good also. i would put him in time out everytime he says it. And make everytime longer. Eventually maybe he will get the idea and it wont be worth saying it.
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 2:52 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I probably would have smacked his little mouth and put him in time out and taken away something he loves most for my son it would be his toy skid loader like his dads and the TV!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Well where did he learn the word Bitch from....and how did he know to call you that?? I say watch how you and others talk around your kids.
    Anonymous