• In the Spotlight:

Do you buy mostly designer clothes? And if you do, do you give to charities?

I worked at a popular designer only department store. I eventually left because my heart ached for people who were going without basic needs while my customers bought shawls for $750.

MamaChamp

Asked by MamaChamp at 2:02 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• nope, I shop at walmart. why pay that kind of money for something? I think it's a waste of money and just shows how vain a person is if they have all designer stuff.
    Anonymous

• Ok, it does suck that there will always be rich and always be poor people...but you can't resent or be angry with rich people buying extravagant things for themselves. Charities are something people on their own accord give to, not something you force them to. I don't buy designer clothes cause its a waste of money to me, I give to my church happily.

Anonymous

• hopefully those designer shawls were made in the USA
    Anonymous

• If it's not at Ross, Walmart or the thrift store we can't afford it. But then again I love being able to get 5 outfits for the same price someone else would get 1 or 2. Just how I was raised I guess.
    Anonymous

• Define Designer? Is Old Navy, Gap, and Justice considered Designer? Then yes. Do I take my kids to Nordstroms, VonMaur, or Macy's and pay Full price? No. Do I shop the sales at these places. Heckya! I also shop at Once Upon a Child, and there is a local boutique where she makes her own clothes and I support her a small biz as much as I can. And yes, beyond clothing we give $ to charities.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I just posted about the Ross, Walmart etc. I still donate to charities and volunteer as often as I can. But my inlaws have the money to flaunt around and buy whatever they want but NEVER help with charities they actually look down at people that need help.
    Anonymous

• Those designer shawls were not made in the US. The fabric can't even be made in the US...same thing for the expensive scarves and sunglasses I sold.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I do by some designer stuff....name brand...for myself, my kids and my hubby...I do donate everything that we get rid of....
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• buy rather...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:13 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I buy off the clearance racks at Target. I spent $50 on a dress two years ago for my DH's Christmas party and felt horribly guilty. Looked really good, tho
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:14 PM on Jan. 29, 2009