I want to have a yard sale this weekend... where to start?!

I already have a shed full of baby stuff that i'm putting out for it, and it all needs to be sorted through and priced and probably cleaned/dusted... then I'm planning on going through the kids' room again to sort out more toys, stuffed animals, and maybe some books... UGH, i just don't know where to START, i hate doing this kind of thing alone but my dh WON'T help (plus he's working lol) and the kids only really help by getting in the way :P Guess i just get off the computer and get dressed to begin with ;-)

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 10:27 AM on May. 29, 2012 in Money & Work

• First, gather up the stuff you would like to get rid of. If it's clothing and you have the time, wash it and fold it. Then once the stuff is rounded up, decide how you want to price- Individually or you can put every thing at a certain price and then display your pricing.. i.e., jeans $2.00, etc. Then figure out how you can display your stuff... what you can make a table out of, what you can hang up, etc. You can use saw horses, ladders, boxes, tables, really anything to make tables out of. You can start setting up your garage anytime. I would wait to put the clothing out until the night before though.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:30 AM on May. 29, 2012

• I'd start with what you already have in the garage. To keep things simple I'd most of the clothes at one price. Those that are a little nicer you can set up near you and price. It just keeps things simple.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:08 AM on May. 29, 2012

• Grab some empty boxes and just go through each room - every shelf, drawer, cupboard, and toss things in according to type (kitchen stuff, toys, etc.) Take out to the garage. Most people in my area will not buy children's clothes for more than $1 an item unless very special. Don't price higher than the thrift stores or you won't get rid of it. I always overthink stuff - it just complicates the process. Every time a box gets full, take it in the garage and get another. If you don't have boxes check behind a local hardware store or farmer's market. Large chains usually have a recycling service and you can't get to the boxes.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:52 AM on May. 29, 2012

• Baby stuff (exersaucers, crib, changing table, etc.) I cleaned and priced individually. I put out tables - a $1 table, $2 table, and a $5 table (for nice toys that were almost new). Then I also had a 50 cent box that the kids coming to the yard sale enjoyed. My kids (9 and 11 at the time) made a tidy profit on coffee and doughnuts!

Answer by missanc at 2:56 PM on May. 29, 2012

• Yes, easiest to price items by table grouping.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:06 PM on May. 29, 2012