D o you think its far that if you are an only parent and you need to study and not really have help you should be able to take your child with you to the library to study?

I took my child with me and was told I had to leave, do you think it was fair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No it's not. They have sections for children to play and read for that purpose I thought. As long as they aren't uber loud or fussy I don't see a problem with kids in the library.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 2:05 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• well, was your child too disruptive bc libraries are seen as a place to study. Why not just study at home? A place for quiet
    Anonymous

• I think if the child is being good it should be allowed. If the child starts cutting up, then the person should leave if the child can't be calmed down. Such as infants who sometimes have tantrums. Well, mine does, and i know that that can be irritating to someone studying. But if the child is behaving and being quiet, let them stay. Give them a book to look at and leave them alone.
    Anonymous

• well, it's one thing if your child is being quiet and you are told to leave, it's another if you are studying and letting your child run wild through the library...
    Anonymous

• Other people come to libraries to study too. If they are unable to study because of a child's behavior, then that is not fair to them. If the library has a standing policy about children in the library then it is probably because of past problems with children. Rather than leave it up to the librarian to decide which kids are causing problems and which aren't, they put in a blanket "no kids" rule.
    Sorry. "Fair" has many interpretations.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• The library is a public place and a mom with child should be allowed there. If the child is causing a disruption, the library has a right to ask you to leave. I was a single mom in college and it was hard to balance being a mom of a toddler/preschooler with being a student. I usually took materials out and studied at home. It was easier there in our space than trying to watch him somewhere else and study at the same time.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:11 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I agree with riotgrrl.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• depends on the child. My mom got her bachelors degree while I was a child. I sat in the kids section and read, colored, napped for hours. If you have a child that cant be quiet or has to run around that is too disruptive for other students.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• how about studying in the kids section, or a place that kids are allowed?
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• if your child is being good and quit then i dont think it is fair but if he was running around being loud then yes i could see why they would ask you to leave.
    Our public library has a kids section down stairs where they dont have to be quit they can play with toys read books put puzzles together.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2009