How much do you pay a priest for Baptism? (EDIT)

I apoligize. I was told that most parents make a "donation" as a thank you to the priest. I was wondering how much it should be?

jhj4ever

Asked by jhj4ever at 2:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It can be any amount of money you see fit or you can make meals for your priest or get him a gift card to a book store or favorite eatery or grocery store. It's just a token of gratitude for sharing (and administering) the sacrament. We have given our priest a nice bottle of his favorite brandy, meals (both home made and meals out), and a book for the various ways he's been a priest for us. I don't think it has to be any set amount of money, but if cash is what you prefer, go with an amount you're comfortable with. He is, after all, just fulfilling his calling.
    MagnaMeg

Answer by MagnaMeg at 2:34 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• We gave 50
    Anonymous

• most give what they can afford.. my brother gave $50 dollars for his son's baptism. That's what he figured on after asking the rest of our family and friends what they donated. It's not too high, but most of my families incomes aren't, so it's practical..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:13 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• We gave $100.12 and a half years ago. Call us crazy but where I live they want you to donate and we never attended church.
    Anonymous

• We gave $100 and a gift to the priest.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i like the idea of the gift for the priest, that is sweet, my daughter's great grandfather is a deacon, and he always get's the kids at the church toys/etc for the holidays. It would be sweet to give them something back.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Sorry I posted on the unedited version first...I did not give any money to our priest. I had my son's Godparents very involved in the process because I was not raised Catholic and they never mentioned to me that I should so I dunno.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:43 PM on Jan. 29, 2009