What do you think on this article about spanking your child?

http://www.kidsource.com/kidsource/content4/spanking.morph.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm sorry my kids won't listen to anything but a quick swat to the butt, mouth, or hand. Which ever is doing the wrong action. I've tried time outs and sitting in your room!!! It's not and has not worked. The final straw ends up being a quick firm swat with my hand.
    Anonymous

• you know befor i had my son i was sooo against spanking a child. I was spanked as a child and didnt wana spank my kid because i thought it tought me nothing when my mother spanked me. However i found myself one day popping my son on his bottom for running off in the store parking lot when he was just about 2 and half years old. Now saying that i didnt spank him hard by any means it mainly scared him and hurt is feelings. Hes now 7 and doesnt need to be spanked but i did find myself from time to time spanking him for things that could have been dangerouse for him and he wasnt listening.
    I dont know if its right or wrong i think it depends on the parents and to what degree you spank your child. I think some parents spank because they are mad and thats never right and i think some parents do it to ruff.
    Anonymous

• I don't know...it's seems to me to be pretty clearly written by someone who thinks spanking is wrong. Personally, I try to read things that are as unbiased as possible. I also think some of their suggestions are a little...idealistic. If I clapped my hands to get my kids attention, I might as well do nothing for all the effect it would have.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I think it's a great article & I totally agree. I only have one chilc & i did spank a couple times, but i just learned that it did not work as far as taking care of the problem goes. Striking adults is not acceptable anywhere on the world, so why should it be OK to strike a child, that makes NO sense to me? I am a very patient person though, i take my time in finding the best way of punishment. some people have no patience & refuse to take extra time out of there day to discipline there kid w/ out hitting them. I think it's out of laziness. Spanking is abuse in my eyes, I would never lay a hand on my sweet child, its wrong.

Anonymous

• All I know is I was spanked a total of 3 times by the time I was 12...they worked. I don't think spanking should be a daily discipline method however. I only got spanked for certain offenses and I knew that when I got spanked, I don't something really bad. But I was a pretty good child. For a child who is constantly defiant I don't think spanking is an effective way of discipline.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 4:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• ANON 3:14 , You started out saying that you spanked your child a couple of times than at the end you said that spanking is abuse.LOL Got to love when someone contradicts themselves, it tells me that they dont have a clue as to what they are talking about.
    Anonymous

• I thought it was a short but very informative article and I totally agreed with it. Yes, it was biased against spanking, but then so am I.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2009