I saw this article and I was reminded the many reasons why folks will risk their life, and their whole families lives to get to America

A 16 yr old commits suicide after she is forced to marry her rapist.

Apparently Under Moroccan law, any man who rapes a minor will be forgiven of all charges, as long as they marry their victim. Last year, Amina was walking the street when she was accosted and raped by a man who was 10 years her senior. When she finally reported the incident, their parents agreed to a marriage to protect her family honor. After submitting to the marriage, Amina confided to her mother that she was subjected to violent beatings from her husband; her mom simply asked her to be more patient. As a final resort to escape her violent marriage, Amina injested rat poison and ended her life.

Good god, I can't believe there are counties out there that still behave like this! I ask the question again....WTF is our world coming too?

http://itsybitsysteps.com/16-year-old-amina-filali-who-was-forced-to-marry-her-rapist-commits-suicide/

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:09 AM on May. 30, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• This didn't take place in AMERICA 'hon'. And the question on 'WTF is this world coming to' is more rhetorical then anything else. I am fully aware of how long this shit has been taking place despite it being in the 21st century and not the 18th or 19th century. And women, even in America are still being treated like chattel.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 12:37 AM on May. 30, 2012

• In response to the anon...people in the US choose to live in abusive marriages. They are not forced into them by law or "honor." In the US rapists go to jail, they don't get a pass and the chance to rape their victim for life.

I think this is terrible, but simply coming to the US won't change it...they want to bring it with them. This is why I support laws that strengthen US law as the ONLY law to be used in US courts.

BTW, I think they should give the rapist and the parents a good dose of that rat poison.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:12 AM on May. 30, 2012

• Sadly, those of us who live in free countries tend to take our liberties for granted. The things I see some people complain about, especially in the US sometime makes me wanna shake so sense and perspective in them.
    THIS is living under an oppressive religious regime.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:19 AM on May. 30, 2012

• Coming too? Read your histories.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:19 AM on May. 30, 2012

• "Coming too? Read your histories..."
    Like I said, the 'coming to'; was a rhetorical question and I wasn't looking for it to be answered.

Sharon...I completely agree with you. When I read stuff like this, and how people live in countries like this or Syria for that matter, makes me all the thankful for the things we have here, and opportunities we take for granted.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 2:07 PM on May. 30, 2012