Any one go on T and A Journey? Tonsellectomy and Adenoidectomy.

My daughter has to have a Tonsellectomy and an Adenoidectomy done next week. I was wondering what I should expect of her the day of and after the surgurys? I would love any and all input for this. I just want to be ready for her that day. Right now I am a little nervous for her!

jem102675

Asked by jem102675 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Make sure that you have plenty to eat and drink for her. Things like Jello-O, ice cream (without stuff like nuts and chunks of stuff), Popsicles, pudding, yogurt (again, with out chunks of fruit), juice, Powerade/Gatorade. Don't try giving her stuff that's carbonated, it may hurt her throat. Just let her eat/drink what she can...mainly get her to drink. Kids often get dehydrated because it hurts to drink and refuse to do it. My son's ENT prescribed a pain killer for him, he didn't need it after the first day though. Tylenol worked just fine after that. NO ADVIL, MOTRIN...Ibuprofen. It can cause bleeding. Only Tylenol.

Be aware that there may be moaning and crying. Just try and be sympathetic. In about a week she should be feeling a lot better. On surgery day, have her dress comfy and take a pillow/blanket/lovie with her. You take a good book and a snack. GL!
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 3:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• How old is she? My nephew got his done when he was 4 and he was up running around the next day screaming at the neighbor kids to play. My sister and I got our out at the same time (I was 15 she was 18) and we were in the hospital 4 days due to bleeding. Also, we couldn't eat solid foods for almost 2 weeks. My mom pureed us stuff in the food processor. Make sure you remind her to drink plenty of water and wake her up every two hours at night to take a drink the first couple nights! We didn't do this and the docs (much later!) told us that is why we bled so much. Also, make a rice or buckwheat bag or two. She can use them hot or cold to wrap around her throat for comfort. If she's little, it won't be so bad, but if she's older... POOR BABY! Good Luck Mama!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 3:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• We did this last year around this time! My daughter had her removed. Honestly, we were worried however, after having it done I would highly recco. My daughter sleeps better at night, I don't even hear her breathing anymore! This also makes for a much more pleasant child (a good nights sleep does wonders) The first day they sleep alot and or just lay around pretty much. There is medicine afterwards that helps but also makes them drowsy. Have lots of Jello, Ice Cream, Pudding, Popsicles and of course their favorite drinks on hand! My daughter wanted Gingerale. They also recco. crunchy foods after the first day or two believe it or not. They said that by having the child chew it would help with a quicker recovery. My daughter had pretzels on the third day...it is so worth it and kids are really resillient! Good Luck!
    sjmissy

Answer by sjmissy at 3:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• It's natural to be nervous. My 4 yo has had 5 surgeries and my 2 yo has had 1 and I was nervous at each one. Just try not to let your daughter see that you are nervous, that will make her scared.

They are not supposed to eat from the time they go to bed until the surgery. What I have always done was had a late dinner so that they had food in their stomach longer. Also, in the morning either I ate before I got them up or I took a snack to the hospital with me and ate it after they took them back. That way they didn't get upset that they couldn't eat too. I always have a sippy of juice with me waiting for them for when they got out of surgery.

I'd have a pallet set up for them near my bed for them to sleep on that night. I like to have my kids nearby the night after a surgery. And of course a movie of their choice waiting in the DVD player for when they get home.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 3:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My husband actually had this done last year. I just wanted to say that the recovery is easier on young children than it is on adults. You'll want to stock up on juices like apple juice. Nothing acidic. If you give her italian ice or sorbet make sure it's not citrus flavored, they sting. Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 3:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My child had an adnoidectomy but not the tonsils. I hear that the tonsils is a much more complicated recovery... When my son woke up he was a little upset and freaked out becuase he was in pain and had a hard time breathing. The nurses were right there and helped us...pretty much was because he was in pain and needed more oxygen. I was not prepared for this when we were there for him when he woke up. He was also really P.O.ed because he wanted his Mom and Dad and not the nurses.. When we brought him home he mostly slept....He loved getting popsicles, pudding, ice cream. Try to get all the possibilities from the Dr. and the nurses and be sure you are clear on what to do and look out for when you get home.
    I hope all goes well and your child feels better afterward.
    Mine can now hear, breath, sleep, and rarely gets sick anymore.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 3:35 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My daughter is 3 yrs old. Thanks Ladies!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 5:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My daughter had her A & T 1 month after her 4th birthday. I am so happy that I did it. She rarely gets sick anymore. The first day after her surgery, she was eating pancakes. She did have to spend the night in the hospital because she had gotten too much anesthesia but she did fine the next day and was able to go home. I kept her home from preschool for the week but she was playing with toys etc. on the 2nd day. Good luck with her surgery.
    mkmnurse

Answer by mkmnurse at 11:02 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i have had 2 nephews and a niece that have had t&as. ......stay away from acid drinks and foods. she will feel the worst day 2-5 post surgery.....after that she may feel like she is able to eat things that have a harder consistency....but......i would let her wait longer.....and.....she will probably get bad breath due to the healing process and no being able to brush her teeth....that's what my nieces dr suggested......all 3 are so much better and NEVER get sick anymore... Good Luck!
    mamaoftwins0107

Answer by mamaoftwins0107 at 1:54 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Both my boys had this surgery around the same age. Things that helped: A nurse gave him a bear dressed like the hospital staff. We went to the hospital a day or two before, and my son met the staff who showed him the bed, monitors, popsicles he will get after surgery, etc. He got to keep his hospital gown. The nurses and anesthesiologist were very child friendly to him, and made him feel special. There was pain after he awoke, until meds set in, but neither of my sons even remembers that part. They both felt fine in a day or two, and the hardest thing they had to do was NOT run around, swim, or eat anything sharp or scratchy for several weeks, all to keep the throat from bleeding. The best thing afterward was being able to eat icecream, yogurt, popsicles, pudding, jello, and favorite drink for a week. I let them go to store before surgery and pick out their favorites. Now 9 y.o. they still remember it as awesome.
    bowdentribe

Answer by bowdentribe at 10:09 AM on Jan. 30, 2009