Asked by tinamatt at 11:22 AM on May. 30, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Fears that the WINNERS might be bullied? If that's what she actually said, then no, I don't think she had a point. At least not where I come from. Our queen and king were always the most popular kids, and the idea of anyone bullying them is beyond laughable.

The idea that allowing everyone to put in their name and drawing at random makes it more fair...I suppose. But honestly, though it might be more fair, I think it would open up potential winners to bullying by doing it this way - you get a queen who's got zits all over her face, greasy hair and only gets teased by boys, she's more likely to be bullied for winning. Or the nerdy little guy with the glasses and straight As who can't shoot a basket to save his life.

In general, I think the whole politically correct thing is way overdone anymore. I mean, I agree certain words, situations, etc. should not exist/be used, but the way everyone gets offended anymore...ridiculous.

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:33 AM on May. 30, 2012

• IDK. It probably feels like a huge deal to a high schooler. I don't know why any of the prom court would be bullied for winning. That seems kind of stupid. It's really just a popularity contest anyhow.

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:35 AM on May. 30, 2012

• I understand the school motives, but I do think if an 'outcast' was elected as prom queen/king they would be a joke and it will definitely be a prom they will never forget, and that wouldn't be a good thing. My pom was hell in the fact I was asked out by a guy who wasn't part of a clique, and he appeared to be real nice to me for quite awhile, and I find out he was paid to take me to prom and ditched me soon as I got there, and I was stuck with no way home after the dance ended and everyone went to the after party. It was a long walk home in heels.

It did have a happy ending per say....and mean when I went to our first HS reunion he had gotten fat, with a receding hair line, 3 kids 1 of which was in prison. And I lost all weight I had while I was in HS, and I wasn't recognized right away and a few of the jocks were flirting with me, the same ones who thought I was fugly. It was a Kodak moment for sure!

• If you're going to do away with the election you might as well toss out king & queen. It's the students right to select who they want and not the principal.

Answer by baconbits at 3:09 PM on May. 30, 2012

• That's ridiculous. If one thinks about it, it's a lesson in voting and of the few times kids get to vote for a declared candidate. Wonder how that principle views the Presidential elections. Isn't it, in a way, the same situation?

Most who run for President are/have been either Governors or Senators and are very wealthy, (It takes a LOT of money). They could be viewed as something of a "clique" since they tend to associate mostly with others in their income level. Now, I'm sure that there are those Governors, Senators, Rep's, who are not as wealthy as others & so may be kind of on the out-skirts of the group. So in order to avoid possible bullying; unfairness, jealousy, hurt feelings and/or pressure to vote for a member of the "clique", Lets just throw the names of all the Gov.s; Senators & Reps in a hat and draw out two, one for Pres. and one for VP. STOOPID and so is what that principle is doing.

Answer by meriana at 6:37 PM on May. 30, 2012