My 2 1/2 yr ol

Hi ladies, having been here in a while but I am desperate to hear your opinions, suggestions or feedback on what has been going on with my toddler.

We co slept with our toddler until about 3 weeks ago, the transition initially was not very hard, he has been doing really good and even sleeping through the night. This past week he has been sick with a cold, I finally took him to the doctor yesterday, no ear infection just a "bug". However the last 3 days have been miserable for us and him. He is waking up at all hours of the night and refusing to go back to sleep, screaming off the tops of his lungs, kicking, crying and I am not sure what to do. It's like a new kid, we ask him to lay down he screams "no" takes his blanket off, throws things.

We thought at first we could just let him cry, well that has gotten us no where, he will cry for 1-2 hours, we try to console him by being next to him until he falls to sleep only to have him wake up 30-40 minutes later throwing the same tantrums. I have tried to research this and the only thing I've seen is in reference to night terrors but is that commom everyday and is it commom for the child to have such a high sleep disturbance? I just don't know what to do anymore or how to help him, the poor kid is tired, not eating well and extremely needy. Over the counter meds aren't helping. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

LuvmyFam6

Asked by LuvmyFam6 at 12:53 PM on May. 30, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is he running a fever at night? When my dd runs a fever at night she cts the same way, we usually end up running a tepid bath and let her play for a while, it usually helps with going back to bed
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 12:59 PM on May. 30, 2012

• I am sorry for your little boy! We never coslept so I can't comment on that transition, but the only one of my kids that had any type of sleep disturbance at this age is my oldest. He has autism so we kinda expected it (not suggesting in any way that your child has autism!!), I would go in and lay down with him, turn on a classical CD and lay with him until he fell back to sleep. In time, the classical CD became his "cue" that it was sleep time and all I had to do was turn on the CD player and I could go back to my room. And then eventually he grew out of it.

Answer by missanc at 1:01 PM on May. 30, 2012

• He has been running small fevers but not during the night. We are clueless, we are tired but can't imagine how drained he is. Doc suggested Benadryl may help him sleep however that has not worked. He cried non stop at daycare and I was not able to take him today. I am thinking maybe a bath befored bedtime may help? And classical music.. May try that as well. I've just never seen him be like this before. Best way I can describe it is that he throws tantrums but hits and talks back at the same time. This morning he woke up with bags under his eyes still going in and out of sleep.
    LuvmyFam6

Comment by LuvmyFam6 (original poster) at 1:09 PM on May. 30, 2012

• Just one more thought - I would wake him up at the same time every morning. I know it will mean a few days of very grouchy little boy, but if you try to keep his schedule as consistent as possible maybe it will help straighten him out.

Answer by missanc at 1:47 PM on May. 30, 2012

• Is he on any sort of med? I can tell you that Benadryl makes my granddaughter an extremely mean drunk.

The crying during the day makes me wonder if his ears aren't hurting him, even though the doctor says no infection. Could you go buy some Similasan Ear Drops? They're cheap at WalMart, all natural and are a miracle for ear pain
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 2:24 PM on May. 30, 2012