Has anyone ever opened up a business with little experience? How did it work out? Husband wants to open a pizza place

Hi, My husband wants to open up a small mainly take out pizza place. It is already there we would basically be just taking over the standing restaurant and of course changing the menu..name..etc...

I am really scared about this venture.I don't want to lose money on it...He keeps saying think positive but really we have never run our own restaurant. We both have experience in the restaurant business and him in managing. We are both hard workers...I just have a nervous feeling.He would be working there and still his regular job until we got busy enough for him to just do one...I would be there part time for now and we have a couple family members that will also help..What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on May. 30, 2012 in Money & Work

• How did other businesses do in that location? That will tell you a lot, like in my hometown theres a pizza joint and every time it gets new owners it fails within two yrs tops and it's back on the market.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 1:11 PM on May. 30, 2012

• They were open for just about 4 years so I am assuming they did fine. They are from another country and according to the landlord they are moving out of the country..maybe back home?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:37 PM on May. 30, 2012

• I'm not into that risky a venture. I have experience in the restaurant business and was a manager for a few years too, I don't feel like I'm in any way prepared to open my own restaurant. I wish you luck, I'm just not brave enough to stake my family's finances in something that risky.

Answer by missanc at 1:43 PM on May. 30, 2012

• Do you have experience in pizza? Will you make your own dough, offer specialties? How many other pizza shops are in town? You have to take that all into consideration, if you have alot of shops you need to be above and beyond and prices be fair.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 2:03 PM on May. 30, 2012

• Restaurants are risky because your inventory is all perishable and can't just be stored until it eventually sells. Do either of you have experience on the inventory & pricing side of restaurant management?
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:23 PM on May. 30, 2012

• Believe me I am not into taking huge risks like this either!!

Yes we will be making our own dough and sauce and have specialties. We are not going to have a huge crazy menu. We want to keep it somewhat simple and to have good quality food...we don't want to offer a zillion things and the quality is lacking. We have some family in the business and they have been helping us out by giving us advice etc...

Believe me we have been over it again and again...like I said I am not a rick taker...just nervous but I guess that is to be expected in any case.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:47 PM on May. 30, 2012

• No but I would love to open a bookstore let me know how it goes........ How are you getting financing?
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 3:56 PM on May. 30, 2012