Praying for forgiveness

Not going to rehash the entire debate about my position on praying for things - but I'm curious based on comments in a few different questions going right now.

If you are someone who believes in praying to a deity for forgiveness, do you pray for forgiveness for everything you do wrong? Is it like a blanket nightly prayer, similar to listing one's sins at confession, or do you do it individually after every incident? If there are so many things that need forgiving, and the need to ask is recurring, why bother in the first place?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:02 PM on May. 30, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Since I know I do wrong throughout the day, I try to ask God for forgiveness when I realize it. You know, like if I let myself be sucked in by someone on here (not you, you have always been great), and end up saying or doing something I know I shouldn't. When I let the human side of my take over, and not rely on the spiritual side. It's a day, usually hourly struggle, but in the long run, it's better than anything this world ever offered. I've only been saved for about 10 years, so I remember what my life before God was like, and I have learned that anything I don't confess and give to God, the enemy (satan) will use to try to destroy me. By asking for forgiveness, I bring it out into the light, and anything in the light is something the enemy cannot use against us. It's the bottled up stuff he thrives on.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 2:08 PM on May. 30, 2012

• Hopefully, the longer I live/the closer I draw to Christ, the less things I will do that need forgiveness! I pray as soon as I recognize I have sinned. Sometimes that's immediate, sometimes it's not and it takes some time for me to come to grips with it. IMO if you aren't truly repentant there's no sense in asking forgiveness (ie if you just plan on doing the same thing the next time the situation comes up, then you aren't truly repenting). Knowing that I can ask forgiveness from my Savior is not a free pass to go out and sin, simply because I know He will forgive me. That's not a Christ like attitude.

Answer by missanc at 2:10 PM on May. 30, 2012

• Hopefully, the longer I live/the closer I draw to Christ, the less things I will do that need forgiveness!

This is how it sounds like it should work on paper, but from some people's answers, it sounds more like it's just a routine - sin, pray, be forgiven, sin, pray, be forgiven, etc, with a dash here and there of this doesn't really count.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:12 PM on May. 30, 2012

• I only ask for forgiveness from PEOPLE i've wronged
    I don't believe in sin. I only follow the laws of man
    I chose not to do things that i feel the creator would frown on,but then again,those would be covered by laws

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:14 PM on May. 30, 2012

• Ive never prayed for forgiveness hmm.. If i need forgiveness because ive hurt someone i just tell them i am sorry and ask them to forgive me for my actions.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 2:14 PM on May. 30, 2012

• I thought prayer was a way to clear ones' mind...to help one work on themselves to become a better person. Maybe its about forgiving oneself, instead of expecting forgivness from a god?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:16 PM on May. 30, 2012

• Well forgive me for wanting to slap stupid people
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 2:19 PM on May. 30, 2012

• I pray nightly for my family and friends...thank God for my blessings and pray about any special prayer requests I have and also ask forgiveness for anything I may have done wrong during the day. Sometimes I name a specific thing sometimes I don't...I guess it just depends. I also pray throughout the day sometimes.
    LoViNmYbAbIeSs

Answer by LoViNmYbAbIeSs at 2:20 PM on May. 30, 2012

• People often use prayer as a way to make themselves feel better. Not all. But some. "Oh well I'll do this and ask for forgiveness." It May not be that exact thought.

I honestly don't feel as if I need to pray for forgiveness every night. I seldom do things that I feel warrant it. And honestly, all these die hard Christians who act like they live by the Bible? Give me a break. There is sooo much that even they don't practice. A lot of which they'd need to ask forgiveness for.

I no longer attend church. I love God and am faithful but I will not go to church again. I've never met so many judgmental hypocrites.
    xXMarlyeXx

Answer by xXMarlyeXx at 2:23 PM on May. 30, 2012

• I do, however, keep a prayer book. I write them down almost everyday. Friends, family, strangers, people I don't like.
    xXMarlyeXx

Answer by xXMarlyeXx at 2:24 PM on May. 30, 2012