Would you tell someone that she smelled?

I had to run my aunt to the bank and she is a little bit....shall we say...slow. By the time I let her out of my car, I had to get a new air freshener out. It was really bad. Should I have told her? I don't want to embarrass her but she was really gross. How should I bring it up?

Sue41

Asked by Sue41 at 3:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Health

• I think you should just say hey, I love you and I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but I think you might need to take a shower or a bath. I would definitly tell her, no matter which way,. you have to tell her.
    HappyWifeNmom

Answer by HappyWifeNmom at 5:10 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I'm not sure there is any nice way to do that. Back in my early 20's I worked in a fast food place as the assistant manager. One of my employees was a lady in her 50's who was going through some rough times in her home with her family and a daughter who had returned home, etc. She was a really sweet lady, but depression and living arrangements resulted in a decline in her hygeine. My manager decided it would be good experience as a manager for me to be the one to tell her she needed to shower more often. I felt so bad. What is the right way for a 20-something to tell an older lady she smells? Ugh, I'll never forget how awkward and terrible I felt.
    dsteiner23

Answer by dsteiner23 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I am a believer in being blunt. I would ask her if everything is ok, did she need any help with anything, how was she doing, and if everything seemed fine, say "I love you so want you to hear it from me, I can smell you, you might want to shower when you get home so that others do not say rude or hurtful things.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 3:46 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Maybe make her up a cute little basket of hygenic things like body wash, lotions, soaps, deodorant ect ect........ i was a cheerleading coach for a few years and I had to do this a few times cause some of the ladies and one of the boys were not taking real good care of themselves and it usually got the point across!! but i did actully have to get to the point of talking to one of them and asking them to wear deodorant and to please shower and change cloths daily!!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 29, 2009