How to save kitty kitty from my daughter?

My 20 month old loves the new kitty (we've had it 2 months). She is obsessed with kitty kitty to the point that she calls for it in her sleep.

She has recently began trying to kill kitty kitty. She carries it thru the house by the neck, stuffs it in cabinets, boxes, etc and laughs in delight that the cat can't get out. She lays on the kitty, pokes it, etc, etc.

I've tried everything to get her to be nice to kitty but she will not stop. Please share any thoughts, advice, etc on how I can get her to understand not to be mean to kitty. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• Keep them apart or give the cat away, she's too young to understand that she's going kill it.
    Anonymous

• At 20 monthes, my daughter could understand things pretty good. Have you explained to her that she may hurt him real bad? I doubt she really wants to hurt him, and if she knew she was hurting him, she may not do it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:45 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Does kitty have a safe spot to go to? Someplace where your daughter can't get to kitty?

I probably wouldn't let them be together unsupervised. Your kitty seems very patient but they have limits. At some point kitty may need to defend itself. 20 months is young but start now with teaching your daughter to be gentle. It won't happen overnight but be consistant and praise her when she is gentle to kitty.
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 3:54 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Kids are much rougher that we realize and than they mean to be. At 20 months, she should be able to realize when you correct her. Try telling her that she is hurting kitty kitty and she has to be nice to her. And maybe when she stuffs him in a cabinet or somewhere, go up to her and swat her hand lightle, so she gets the point that that is not good. If all else fails, put kitty in the laundry room ofr somewhere blocked off my a baby gate so the baby can't get to it until she learns to be nice to it.
    Anonymous

• My Siamese couldn't hurt a fly! My daughter loves him!! She just turned 2. She too did this. Kitty delights her. Luckily he endures it. She would freak and throw a tantrum when I told her leave kitty alone. I finally would tell her your giving kitty Boo Boo's. Then I would guide her hands gently petting him. That she related to. She is still a bit rough and walks him around the house carrying him under the shoulders now. Still kinda drags him. But he goes for more and has even began sleeping beside her.
    mama_lou

Answer by mama_lou at 5:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2009