Has anyone been through In Vitro?

My husband and I have been trying to conceive. We have not been able to get pregnant so we went to a infertility doctor. He says my husband has no sperm. Which is weird since we have 3 kids already. The doctor wants to go in to where the sperm lives and take them out from there if he has any and then implant them in me. Has anyone gone through this before?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• My friend did with great success after trying for years.
    She and hubby had no certain reason for the fact they could not conceive on thier own.
    So they took this route.
    It took two trys and she has a healthy baby now.
    I wish you & hubby the best!
    Baby1114

Answer by Baby1114 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• We did in vitro with ICSI 4 times. The 4th time we did GIFT as well and were successful. Don't give up. It will happen for you.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like you are talking about interuterine insemination (IUI) rather then in vitro. We used IUI and I did get pregnant several times but have not been able to sustain a pregnancy. It can and does happen every day. The success rates for IUI and in vitro get better and better every year. My greater concern would be for why your hubby is sudden;y experiencing issues. I would want to get to the bottom of that before anything else.
    Anonymous

• IUI wouldn't be an option in this case. They would only get a small number of sperm through a testicular biopsy, which would then need to be injected right into mature eggs harvested from you.

This wasn't the reason why I used ICSI to conceive my twins, but I have been there and gone through all the injections, heartaches, and eventual triumph over tough odds. Just take it one day at a time, try to find a way to center yourself, and relax.

Make sure you are going with a clinic that does it often enough to have a good track record. NYU was the clinic that worked for me, after a local doc completely screwed up my system for over a year. Ask lots of questions.

A great site for support is www.ivfconnections.com

Good luck to you and your hubby!

halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 11:35 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Get a second opinion on your husbands sperm count., I have found that certain Dr.'s are scalpel/procedure happy.

Best wishes! : )
    JaimesWife

Answer by JaimesWife at 7:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2009