what do you think of the people who put their daughters in pageants?

im ok with it when they are like 13 or so and want to be in one but a 2 year old i dont think so its like they make their daughters do all the stuff and putting on all that make up is not good at that age there is to many weirdos out that that like little kids and the parents are just more less showing off their bodies in the clothes they put on them what do you all think about this?

wendy232425

Asked by wendy232425 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I have no opinion either way. With the exception of the fact that I do think it should be more "natural." I guess that wouldn't be a pageant then though. I don't personally like the idea of spraying a fake tan on my child or dressing my child in away that seems sexy or older for his or her age. Nor to put pressure on my child to win or be the best. It would have to be about having fun. Is it fun? I wouldn't know. The way the reality shows cover it - it seems crazy. Like these moms and dads are out of control and whacked. Are they? Or is television just finding crazed parents for entertainment? I have no idea. I just know that I am not personally comfortable with this.  But I wouldn't look down on a mother who makes a different choice.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I think there are weirdos everywhere so I am not going to dog someone for putting kids in pageants when plenty of moms put their kids pics online not knowing if a predator is going to come across it just the same. I was in them when I was around 9-15 and had a blast. I have considered putting my daughters in them but passed on it. I just didnt want to do the work involved with it I guess. Instead I put them in other things like dance, cheerleading and other girly sports. I have friends who have had their kids in pageants and they have all had a ball. I really think there is a danger when we label all pageant parents the same as what we see on TV.

Answer by gemgem at 3:56 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Oh my goodness don't get me started...I was watching the show on TLC, and I just think it is disgusting (I agree with you about the starting it later on in life when the child is old enough!!) But WTH are parents thinking?? Paining on all that makeup on a precious baby? Fake teeth? Spray tanning? It is all so sad. Babies should be babies, they shouldn't be forced in to an adult world at such a young age. And with all the pervs out there now jesus! If I had a baby girl (I have a boy) there is no way I would exploit my child like that!! I think those mothers are CRAZY!!!

CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 3:57 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• The first thought that comes to mind is that they're beautiful children. My second thought is that I wouldn't put my child in a pagent until she could tell me she did or didn't want to do it. For example...I wouldn't peirce my childs ears. I'd wait until she decided that she wanted to do it. It's a personal choice. But that's just my opinion and in the end it doesn't matter since it's not my child and it's not my business.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i know i wouldnt put my daughter in one and yes gemgem there are weirdos every where and we do put our kids pics on the internet but we are not showing off their bodies and so on
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I would never. But thats me. I think it starts putting beauty, make up, hair, what you wear as too important of an issue in a world where were are already force fed too skinny, too unhealthy, love me for my body and not my brains world. In our home we teach self acceptance, self love, internal beauty ahead of cheek bones, hip measurements, hair color, make up and thousand dollar gowns.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• You know, everyone has always said I should put my DD in a pageant or modeling but honestly, I think it's too much. Not only that but I don't care for makeup very much myself so I can't even imagine putting it on my kid.

I'm sure most parents aren't like some of the weirdo creepy stories you see in movies or tv but I am sure they are out there.

Other than that, if the kid enjoys it and really does have a good time then I guess I'm ok with it.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 4:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• there was a pageant I considered putting my oldest in... she is 6 and loves the spotlight... but one of the first rules both for her class and the one above her (up to 12 I think) is no make up allowed.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 4:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• now if it was no make up and no fake lashes and so on then i would be ok but they go all out in most of those
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 4:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2009