Do you, or does your family, have any ties to historic events?

I was watching the Hatfield/McCoy thing in the middle of the night last night, and I was thinking about the weird and various ties my family has to some pretty historic things - how about you guys?

FreeForAll

Asked by FreeForAll at 8:09 PM on May. 30, 2012 in Just for Fun

• Not that I know of...

Tell us about yours though! I'm interested now.
    LoViNmYbAbIeSs

Answer by LoViNmYbAbIeSs at 8:11 PM on May. 30, 2012

• nothing majorly historic, though i'm sure my paternal grandparents may have come over from Italy via Ellis Island.

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:12 PM on May. 30, 2012

• Oodles of them fought in the Civil War. I have pictures! (Except they're on glass, which is cool)
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 8:13 PM on May. 30, 2012

• My dad's mom's side of the family was related to the feuding McCoys (cousins).
    IheartTea

Answer by IheartTea at 8:13 PM on May. 30, 2012

• My bio dad's father took part in the Civil Rights Movement until he was killed when a bomb or something was set off that the KKK planted. And I found out through the Ancestry.com site I was related to Daniel Boone.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 8:17 PM on May. 30, 2012

• My mom's side - No. They were boring. LOL. My dad's side is more colorful. My great X ? how many grandfather was a prisoner in Andersonville (civil war prison). We have his notes, pictures, etc on it. He came out weighing like 87 pounds. And some of my dad's cousins from back in the wild west days rode with The Younger Brothers (bank robbers)... We have a picture from a newspaper that shows one of his cousins peeking around a corner acting as a lookout.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 8:19 PM on May. 30, 2012

• My paternal grandmother wasn't 100% sure, but she THOUGHT she could trace our family tree back to Robert Bruce (think Braveheart). That same grandmother also went to Florida State Women's College, now home of the Seminoles. HER father was the dean of something, or maybe the registrar, at FSWC.

On my mom's side there was one ancestor that was good friends with Geronimo. I'm also related to the foreman that built Hearst Castle/mansion in California.

Other than that I don't really know. I've never been able to trace my family tree very far.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:21 PM on May. 30, 2012

• OK, got it: he was the Registrar and also held the chair of Faculty Senate Secretary at the Florida State College for Women (which later became Florida State University). He was active in the Kiwanas and was elected Governor of the Florida District in 1938.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:23 PM on May. 30, 2012

• I was told on my mom's dad's side, we're related to several presidents, John Adams, etc.

I was told on my father's mom's side, we're related to the guy that was Hitler's right hand man.

Hmmm, good AND evil....
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 8:40 PM on May. 30, 2012

• Have ties to Revolutionary War and Civil War. My dads cousin was at the Pentagon on 9/11 (he survived... just happened to be in another wing even though he should have been in the one hit.)
    Anonymous