How can I get my toddler to stay in his bed?

I moved my son to a toddler bed about two months ago when he started throwing tantrums at bedtime and almost climbing out of his crib. Then we went away for X-mas, and he slept in my bed at grandparents'. I allowed it because of the strange environment. Now we are back home, and he is still sleeping in my bed, and I'm not getting any sleep because he is a restless sleeper!
His dad and I are divorced, and his dad lets our son sleep in his bed all the time, and has from a very young age. It is difficult to break the habit at my house when the other parent won't cooperate.
Any advice on getting my son to go into and stay in his bed at night? I need to sleep!
I have tried the baby gate at his door, but he just stands there and cries for hours, which keeps us both awake. He won't even stay in his bed at bedtime!
Thanks in advance.

BrennysmominLA

Asked by BrennysmominLA at 4:06 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have had the same issue.
    I got an air bed and set it up next to his bed in his room.
    I slept close to hime for two nights.
    The third night I moved the bed closer to the door.
    Fourth, in the hallway.
    By the 5th night I was in my own bed.
    It worked for me. I am not sure if it was a fluke or what..
    Good Luck Mama!!
    Serendipitydoo

Answer by Serendipitydoo at 5:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I think the other Mommy gave good advice. Start by camping out in his room and graduallly work your way out of the room. I know it's hard to hear them cry at night, to be so tired and just want sleep. If you truly are trying to break him from sleeping in your bed, don't give in and let him do it even one night. That just makes him think that if he throws a good enough fit, he'll end up in the bed with you eventually.
    Anonymous