Baby food and cereal...

When can my baby start eating baby food and cereal? Doctor said wait 3-6 months...that doesn't sound right.

bellasmommy09

Asked by bellasmommy09 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i started ceral at 3 months, and fruits a couple weeks later, and veggies a couple weeks after that. people say now that starting food too early is linked to adult obesity. i dont know how much truth there is to that. i guess its a personal choice. if your baby seems to need more to eat go ahead. just start with plain cereal first, then do fruit then veggies. you have to let their sytem get used to it
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 4:08 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I was always told 4-6 months and both my kids were around 5 1/2 months old before we started any cereal at all. I breastfed both of mine and they did not seem to need it. Every kid is different though.

A good way to decide they might be ready is that they start going longer and longer at night between feedings. When they start getting closer and closer together again, give it a try. If they will take it off a spoon they are ready. It may take a few days of practicing for them to do it. If they still won't, try again in a few weeks.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 4:09 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• babies don't need anything but formula or BM for first 6 months. After that you never need to put them on rice or cereal. its just empty calories. i would start with a vege before a fruit even tho fruit is easier but if you start with fruit they may never want veges. They get the taste of sweet. I would start with avocado or green beans or something like that. If they are too young, their digestive system is not ready to handle all that food and they can't swallow that great either. I would think that 6 months is better. good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• my dr told me that babies didn't need anything but formula for the first year. although i didn't wait that long i started giving mine cereal at 3 months and baby food around 4.5 or 5 months
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• He is right. Start w/ rice cereal really thin and a spoon mixed w/ juice or formula. My docs always recommened 4-6 mos. They will use their sucking to get it off the spoon. My son did not do well w/ food until he was like 6 mos. My daughters did well at 4 1/2 mos. Some docs rec fruit first others rec veggies. I always started w/ fruit cause it is sweet and they take to it better. If they gag a lot or something then wait a week or two and try again. Good Luck.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 4:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• The rule of 4-6 months is out dated. Many peds aren't well informed on nutrition. The recommended minimum is 6 months. An infant's immature digestive system isn't able to handle.

http://www.2coolbaby.com/Documents/brstsolid.htm
    Devory

Answer by Devory at 4:48 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• AAP says no sooner then 6 months, and I agree.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Listen to the health experts and the research, not what other moms did. Virtually all health organizations say nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months.
    Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

Based on recent research, the AAP and other health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (NOT the first 4-6 months).
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Well first off... listen to your pediatrician. But mine told me my son doesn't need cereal until he starts losing weight. Once he starts losing weight we'll put him on cereal until then he only gets milk
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• 4-6 month is not outdated some places (aap and such) recommend waiting, but that doesn't mean you're a bad mom if you choose to feed your child sooner than 6 months. We just started my daughter on cereal and she's 4 month. I'm the mom and I know my baby better than the AAP does (wait, they don't know my baby at all!!" I made a mom choice I a believe it to be the right one.

The fact is that you are your babies mom and you know what your baby needs more than anyone else. If you think you should wait until 6 months-great! and if you want to start at 3 or 4 months-great too!
    The proof is in the pudding. Look around you at all the people who were fed cereal before they were 6 months (I had it the night I was home from the hospital at 1 week old, as did my 5 siblings, we are all healthy ) and you will find that no one has died or had any serious health problems due to the fact that they were fed rice cereal at an early age
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 5:57 PM on Jan. 29, 2009