Starting on finger foods--Please help!!

My twins are 9 mo old and have just started to do finger foods like cheerios, bananas, etc. and starting the sippy cup. They hold the cups fine, but don't hold them up and tilt their head back to sip and they don't put the foods they get in their hands to their mouths. This doesn't make sense to me b/c when they pick up little toys, etc, EVERYTHING GOES IN THEIR MOUTH!! Am I being too impatient or is something wrong?

luvtimes2

Asked by luvtimes2 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• don't worry it takes time take the food and show them to put it in their mouth
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• It didn't make sense to me either, but they did eventually get it. I think one of mine caught on pretty well around 10 months, and the other one didn't really do too well until closer to a year. Just keep trying a little everyday, and one day you'll be surprised.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My son is only a few months older than your twins. I wish someone would have told me about sippy cups with straws. They are awsome! Once my son learned not to drink so fast he got it.I also got frustrated when my son wouldn't put food in his mouth. He liked to squish it, drop it on the floor, anything but eat it. Finally someone suggested I eat off his high chair tray and demonstrate. I would literally eat food off the tray then give him a piece to stick in his mouth himself. After a few "watch mommy eat your food" shows he got it and even tried to feed mommy. They will just get it at their own pace (even though that's not what we want to hear) and don't worry you are doing a great job. :)
    BaByNoAhsMoMma

Answer by BaByNoAhsMoMma at 4:57 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Agreed - sippy cups with straws are fantastic! They don't have to tilt them back and you can get the kind with a spill proof valve in it so you don't have to worry about spills.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2009