How can I encourage my son to learn to walk?

My son is almost a year old. He pulls himself up but doesn't creep. If I hold his hands to encourage him to walk he pulls them up to his chest and laughs or he just sits down. As far as walkers that they push, he is more concerned with the added gizmos and lights than he is learning to walk. Any advice from fellow moms will be greatly appreciated!!

BaByNoAhsMoMma

Asked by BaByNoAhsMoMma at 4:24 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I encouraged my daughter to walk by bribing her with the things she normally is not allowed to play with. My cell phone and the remote. You can put it just out of his reach so that he has to cruise a step or two to get it. You can also use a toy that he's playing with at the time. Once he's really interested in it, take it away and put it out of his reach.
    Babies start to walk sideways first (cruising) and then move on to forward steps. It goes pretty quickly. He's still young.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i never put my daughter in a walker and kept her on the floor all day unless it was food or nap time she was walking by nine months !
    cielo1

Answer by cielo1 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Your child will walk when they are ready. If he's not creeping yet, maybe he's just not ready. Some kids don't walk until they're 15 months or older. My 4 y/o walked at 9 months, but my baby is almost 10 months and only just now pulling up. He doesn't cruise around the furniture yet. Don't rush him. This time will be gone before you know it.
    Moomie

Answer by Moomie at 6:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• He'll get there. When he pulls himself up using the couch, put a favorite toy just out of reach to encourage him to take a step or two along the couch to get to it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My brother didn't walk until he was almost two. One day at the pediatrician's office, they did an x-ray of his legs to see if something was going on. Come to find out that he had a fracture in one leg that no one knew about. It had healed on it's own and the doctor said that that was the probable reason for his delayed walking.

That being said, my son didn't walk until he was about 13 months old. Just keep an eye on your son and if he doesn't walk by his 18 month doctor's appointment ask for x-rays.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 8:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• He sounds like he is doing a good job so far, pulling himself up. Sometimes it just takes them a little while to get the mechanics of walking figured out. I would always go to the opposite side of the room from DD and say "Come to Mamma". She'd try and get to me, even if she had to crawl. Put some of his favorite things just out of reach and see if that doesn't motivate him. Regardless of what you do, he will walk when he is ready.
    Anonymous