To induce or not to induce

I live about an hour from the hospital, with the first leg of my "trip" being all back country roads. We don't normally have crazy winter weather where I live, but the Farmer's Almanac has called for a lot of snow next month. I am due in just under 4 weeks. My doctor said that we could look at inducing me as we get closer to my due date, since I am so far from the hospital. Have any of y'all been induced and what are the pros and cons?

Soccer_Mama

Asked by Soccer_Mama at 4:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i was induced and i dont regret doing it
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I know that cons are if you are induced you are forcing your body to something essentially un-natural or something its not ready for so it can make your labor harder and longer. And that pitocin has been known to cause very powerful and more painful contractions. But in your case I'd say do what YOU are comfortable with because being that far and not being able to get to the hospital would be scary.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 4:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Well, I'm all about inducing IF you are overdue. However, if your not I'd probably say no. I was induced on my due date and eventually went to an emergency c-section. The docs said they weren't related, but whatever. I just think the contractions and labor was way worse than not being induced. JMO. It's something you should talk with your doc about, in your case it may be what's best. But asking on here is just a fight waiting to happen, unfortunately people can't have their own opinions without critizing someone elses. GL though, it's between YOU and your OB b/c in the end it is YOUR baby and birth. :o)
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I was induced because I was 2 weeks late. I did a lot of research about it. Just be in close communication with your Dr., and do some reading about the process. Good luck with your decision!!
    grahamom

Answer by grahamom at 4:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i wasnt induced but if the baby isnt here by 42 weeks im gonna look into it just because i dont want to risk a c section from him getting to big
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I was induced becasue my baby was just over 5 pounds and I was loosing fluid. So they didnt want to chance anything happening. I was just over 2 weeks early. My son is now 2 and 23 pounds and doing great. I think if it is needed then you have to do what is right for you and the baby! Good luck!!
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I was induced with 3 of the 5.
    Pros: You know when youre having the baby and can get everyone together, be ready etc.
    Cons: Pitocin. I would strongly advise on asking for them to try breaking your water bag before pitocin. I noticed that with pitocin my labor was longer and more painful.

Answer by gemgem at 4:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I was induced at 41 weeks and mine went great I have no regrets about being induced. But your situation is tough I would certainly not want to get stuck going into labor and not making it to the hospital b/c of weather. The problem with being induced early is that if you are not ready to give birth being induced may not make you go into labor and if they break your water then you will have to have a c-section not the end of the world but if you don't want one it is hard.
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I was induced and I regret it. I would much rather give birth in a car, on the side of a road then in a hospital being induced ever again. Your risks of a c/s go up 50 percent... It's safer on the baby not to induce.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:06 PM on Jan. 29, 2009