I cannot get my three year old to bed at night. Without or with a movie, he just doesnt give in and go to sleep. It takes me over 2 hours everynight to tackle this. What else can I do???

My 3 year is TERRIBLE at bed time. I put him and his 2 year old brother in their beds around 8:30 and I am lucky if my 3 year old is sleeping by 10:45!! I usually turned a movie on for them thinking they will fall asleep watching it but not him. He will watch the whole thing and another if he could. I have tried just sitting in the room with them, with and without the movie and he just doesnt go to sleep. I've even let him in my bed but he just doesnt give in. I'm grpwing restless!! I dont know what else I can do....he gets me so frustrated!!! Can somebody help me?~~

Khris316

Asked by Khris316 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I wonder if it would work to have some books and toys that are just sleepy time toys and not to be played with at other times. Then if he didn't want to fall asleep, he could play in his bed until he was ready.

Answer by Bmat at 4:31 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• What time does he wake up? I have had to deal with this with my three year old. I took the TV out of the room and woke her up earlier so she will want to go to sleep at an earlier time. You just need to be tough and take charge. I think it's okay that they are awake as long as they know the rules...which in my house are you are to be quiet and not get out of bed. And somehting else to think about is maybe he could have a sleeping disorder or maybe he could have ADD like it is hard for him to settle down at night-not saying that to me mean I am trying to figure out what could be wrong if anything, ok?
    Anonymous

• What time does he take his nap during the day? If he takes a late nap that might contribute to him staying up later, my son sleeps at daycare from 1 to 3 is the set nap time and after work when we get home I keep him busy till 7:30 then bath and it sooths him enough he is ready to lye down. If he gets another nap between then he will stay up till 10.
    mommymomo07

Answer by mommymomo07 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I will watch for advice, my three year old dd recently quit taking naps and she STILL stays awake until nearly 11PM!! We do bath, and story time, a light snuggle, hugs and kisses in bed by 8:30, but she wanders out every half and hour for some lame thing or another for hours! This is all new and we don't know what to do either. We are firm, we are clear about what's expected, we don't speak to her when we put her back in her bed nor give in to her requests for water, or another story. But she just doesn't seem tired! And she's up at the buttcrack of dawn and goes all day, lol, help!
    athenax3

Answer by athenax3 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• i heard this tip from somewhere- i'm not remembering where. make "passes" for time out of the room/ ask for something after bedtime to potty or get a drink. after they use up all their passes, they have to stay in their room for the rest of the night. it also helps for the "mommy come here" attention getters.
    twinsmom1214

Answer by twinsmom1214 at 5:37 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I know this might sound mean, but we had a gate on our sons room. It worked...... He could get out of bed and read or play but he could not come out of his room. He has since grown out of the gate and is still hard to put to bed, but much better than before. Keep firm and fast rules and of course be patient! He might outgrow it as it seems our son has, but the gate was my lifesaver! Good luck!
    myboysnme07

Answer by myboysnme07 at 3:06 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My 3 year old daughter is just like me when I was a kid, a GREAT fidgeter. Bed and nap time is very very hard, and don't get me started on getting her to eat. Anyway, I've tried letting her stay in her room alone to fall asleep whenever. I also tried staying in the room to make her stay in bed, But what I found to work is to not let her move. Like I said, she fidgets, and the movement, however little, keeps her awake.

For bed or nap time I go through a routine of getting her blanket, having her lay down, I lay it over her, then sit beside her talking in a calming voice saying, "lay still, be quiet, it's bedtime, time to sleep, stay still, close your eyes, it's ok" for a minute or two. If she tries to move her feet or arm or anything I just put it back "in place". Because I only figured this method out a few days ago I stay with her untill she falls asleep but eventually I won't have to.
    kira_5105

Answer by kira_5105 at 11:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I started giving my daughter Melatonin crushed in ice cream or yogurt 1/2 hour before bedtime when she was 4. Her pediatrician recommended it, and it works. Call your doc and ask if it's something you can try. It's a natural remedy, found in the vitamins and supplements section of walmart, target, kmart, etc.

~De
    devante9901

Answer by devante9901 at 12:55 AM on Feb. 2, 2009