My 3 year old is afraid to poop on the potty

My son is 3 years old, he has been goin potty on the toilet for over a year. Hes been wearing underwear for about 9 months. Usually he holds it till nap time or bedtime when he gets a pullup to go. Or he just goes in his pants which is really frustrating. Ive tried bribing him with trucks and candy but he says he cant do it.Is this just a phase or what???

boogersmama

Asked by boogersmama at 4:34 PM on Jan. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• we just finished potty training my son and he was easy for peeing but pooping he would do the same wait till nap time and bed time when im not looking and poop in his room i woulld sugest for 1 no pull ups if ur afrasid he will pee at night make sure he pees b4 bed and whenever u or whoever works gets up then back in bed my son only has a bed exadent once a wk maybe the pooping u have to just stay firm no matter how heart breaking put him on the pot b4 nap time for up to 15 minutes WALK AWAY keep checking back and saying u have to poop on the pooty like a good boy or like a big boy or maybe he has a friend who comes over that could be an exmp
    tripadiamondmom

Answer by tripadiamondmom at 8:45 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I am sort of facing that same dilemma. I just started potty training my 3 yr old, language delayed son. Although he is catching up in all areas of his development, he is doing well with the potty training, except for the pooping. I think he is holding it now.

I read this article, and I'm not sure how to respond to this idea and when it should be implemented.. maybe it could help you since you're already a year into it?

Stool Refusal

This is the guy's site: John Rosemond's Traditional Parenting

I would love to know if it works for you... feel free to PM me with your successes or frustrations. I may resort to this tactic in the near future.

Annette4

Answer by Annette4 at 9:28 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• He finally gave up. I made him a sticker chart and after he got so many stars he got a new spider man bike. I'm fine with bribing my son to be done with poopy pants!
    boogersmama

Answer by boogersmama at 12:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2009